Ken Harrison 1:30 p.m., Dec. 6
Lincoln Club Endorses DeMaio
This may come as a shocker; on the same day Chief Justice Roberts's decision to side with the liberal judges and uphold the Affordable Care Act was revealed, San Diego's conservative group the Lincoln Club announced the endorsement of republican Carl DeMaio for Mayor instead of liberal congressman Bob Filner.
Lincoln Club president T.J. Zane said the early, and obvious, endorsement was important due to the fact that a close race is predicted between the councilmember and the congressman.
“It was not a difficult decision,” said Zane. “The Club has partnered with Carl on numerous initiatives, including Proposition B – the pension reform initiative.”
“The Club has a history of success when it comes to backing candidates and initiatives, and we believe Carl will ultimately prevail in November,” Zane said. “But this is going to be a tightly-contested matchup, which is why it’s important to support Carl now, not later. Carl clearly is the best candidate, but he is going to need broad support to win. The Club plans to actively support Carl and we hope others will do the same.”
In a prepared statement DeMaio expressed his appreciation for the support and "partnership of the Lincoln Club. It has been a critical part of the coalition to bring reform to city government, and advance policies to spur economic growth and job creation in our region.”
More like this:
- DeMaio to host "Champagne with the Campaign" event in hopes of attracting support from women — June 14, 2013
- Hedgecock Stumps for DeMaio, Peters Touts Endorsements — April 10, 2012
- DeMaio Challenges Filner to Pension Debate — April 6, 2012
- DeMaio, Filner Remain Mayoral Front Runners — March 13, 2012
- A Pawn for Proposition D in San Diego City Hall — Oct. 12, 2010