Dorian Hargrove 8 p.m., Dec. 11
Lawsuit Filed Over Injuries Suffered at "Large and Dangerous" Rocket Festival
A lawsuit against the Tripoli Rocketry Association, the Rocket Organization of California, and Tripoli San Diego has been filed by Kairee Goodin, who claims she suffered first and second-degree burns to approximately five percent of her body, as well as lacerations to her thighs and legs as the result of standing too close to the launch of a 300-pound, 18-foot-tall model rocket.
While attending the annual “Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships” event in California’s Mojave Desert outside Barstow in June 2010, which, according to her complaint, is a festival dedicated to the “preparation, launching and recovery of hundreds of high-powered amateur rockets,” Goodin rode on the back of her friend Graham Orr’s ATV to a spot 30 feet from the launch site of the rocket. Orr is not named as a defendant.
When the rocket, a replica of NASA’s Delta 2 space shuttle, was launched, “the blast from the heated chemicals and/or gases of the high-power amateur rocket, along with the debris from the disintegrating rocket caused plaintiff Kairee Goodin to suffer numerous injuries.”
Goodin says it took 15 minutes for her to be transported to what she refers to as the event’s “woefully inadequate first aid station.” Once there, onlookers descended on the scene to gawk and shoot photos as her clothes “were stripped off and/or cut away to assess and treat her burns,” as “Plaintiff Kairee Goodin stood humiliated in nothing but her undergarments.”
Goodin’s claim states that inadequate signs and barriers were placed around the launch site to deter her from being in an inappropriate position during the launch. She is seeking damages “for strict liability, negligence and negligent and intentional infliction of emotional distress,” the Courthouse News Service reports.
More like this:
- Woman sues city after falling off Ocean Beach seawall — Oct. 10, 2013
- City Attorney's Office responds to sexual harassment lawsuit on Filner's behalf — Sept. 11, 2013
- Woman sues City and three officers for injuries suffered during police shooting in Encanto — Aug. 5, 2013
- When newspaper racks attack: UT San Diego named in two lawsuits for poorly maintained newspaper racks — Feb. 11, 2013
- City of Chula Vista sued by woman who fell as a result of a broken City sidewalk — Feb. 7, 2013