Don Bauder 7:30 p.m., July 7
Boy Accuses Firefighter of Abuse
A 17-year-old boy took six grueling hours of questioning in the Vista courthouse last week, testifying against a 38-year-old man whom he said sexually abused him for two years.
The slender, soft-spoken boy now looks taller than Raul Licon Jr., the man who pleads not-guilty to multiple felony charges. In a detective’s statement, Raul Licon Jr. is described as 5 feet 9 inches tall, and employed as a California fire fighter.
The alleged victim stated that he was 8 years old when Raul Licon Jr. married a female relation and entered the boy’s life. The boy claimed to be abused between the ages of 14 and 16, the alleged incidents occurring in a San Marcos home and while away on family vacations.
The boy said he became suicidal in late 2011, “because I felt trapped” and “I couldn’t get out of the events and they kept occurring.”
Prosecutor Matthew Greco asked, “Why didn’t you tell your mom?” and the boy answered, “Because I was afraid she wouldn’t believe me.”
The boy used a box cutter to carve the word “FREAK” into one arm and “MISERY” into his thigh, and he was taken to a hospital where he then revealed the alleged abuse, according to testimony.
Raul Licon Jr. was arrested in March 2012. He immediately paid $25,000 as a “premium” to a bond company to post his $250,000 bail, according to court documents. He has been at liberty since.
Private defense attorney Richard Layon aggressively challenged the young accuser’s credibility. The first part of the hearing on July 26, 2012 was closed to the public and media. After the hearing was opened, the defense attorney suggested through questions that the boy and Raul Licon Jr. had petty disagreements over loud music and household chores. The boy confirmed that he found Raul Licon Jr. to be a “jerk” who “would be a lot nicer to me” after each alleged abuse.
Attorney Richard Layon suggested in one question that “this is all a fantasy and you are just making this up.” The boy denied it.
This preliminary hearing will continue on August 10, 2012. More witnesses are expected to testify on that date, and Superior Court Judge Harry Elias will decide if there is sufficient cause to hold Raul Licon Jr. to answer multiple child abuse charges.
More like this:
- Man accused of abuse pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor — July 27, 2013
- Jury favored acquittal for man accused of abuse — July 19, 2013
- Trial for California firefighter was delayed — Jan. 24, 2013
- California firefighter ordered to trial on child abuse charges — Sept. 28, 2012
- DNA Evidence in Hearings Against Firefighter — Aug. 11, 2012