Matt Potter 3 p.m., Dec. 17
Credit Union PAC Spends Big on Nancy Chase
The San Diego Credit Unions' PAC paid $12,000 to Solana Beach political consultant Nancy Chase last year, a longtime city hall insider and widow of Gregory Canyon landfill developer Richard Chase.
According to its semi-annual disclosure filed in Sacramento earlier today, the PAC made the expenditure through an intermediary, California Coast Credit Union of San Diego.
The website of Public Policy Partners, Chase's firm, says that her company "serves as the sole Southern California advocate for the area's credit unions, communicating their positions in Sacramento and Washington D.C. for over 10 years."
A longtime confidante of San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders and his political advisor Tom Shepard, Chase's profile describes her as "a highly proficient Campaign and Fundraising Consultant, enabling the election of valued Congress members, State Assembly and State Senate members, San Diego District Attorneys, Mayors and council members."
Other expenditures by the credit unions' PAC included a $500 November 21 contribution to the community college board campaign of Bernie Rhinerson and $250 to San Diego's GOP Lincoln Club on August 2.
Rhinerson is currently Chief of Staff at the San Diego Unified School District. He was previously a vice president at the local lobbying and public relations shop of Southwest Strategies, founded by ex-Evening Tribune reporter Al Ziegaus.
The PAC raised a total of $14,999 and spent $19,522 in the second half of 2011, leaving it with $54,745 in the bank.
Donations included $1737 from San Diego's CUNA Mutual Group and $1250 each from the Financial Service Centers Cooperative, Inc. of San Dimas; and Moore, Brewer, Jones & Tyler of La Jolla.
More like this:
- San Diego unions violated campaign finance law — April 8, 2014
- Mayor's protocol officer is daughter of Gregory Canyon solid waste magnate — Jan. 9, 2013
- State's Cop Unions, Big Labor Jointly Funded San Diego Police PAC Attack Against DeMaio — Aug. 6, 2012
- L.A. Cop Union PAC, Other Police Union PACs, Pouring Last Minute Money into Anti-DeMaio TV Spots — June 2, 2012
- Taxpayers Association Hires Ex-EdVoice Hand to Draw "Non-Partisan" Redistricting Maps — May 23, 2011