Jeff Smith noon, March 8
Developer Responds to Proposal to Build Franklin Ridge Road Extension
Marco Sessa, Senior Vice President of Development at Sudberry Properties, says his company is not pushing for the construction for the proposed Franklin Ridge Road which will link the Civita mixed-use development in Mission Valley to Serra Mesa. And, he hopes the upcoming scoping meeting will not turn into a back and forth about the merits of the road but instead focus on the environmental and traffic studies they want the consultants to conduct.
For years, residents of Serra Mesa have opposed building a road that connects the two communities. The planning commission and city council also opposed the connection in the past as well. And yet, despite the opposition, the City is moving forward with plans to change the community plan to make room for the road.
Sessa says his company is caught in the middle of it all.
"We are not pursuing the extension. We are taking a neutral position on this and have since 2005," says Sessa in a phone interview.
"We had the City and the transportation department, and the residents in Mission Valley advocating for the road while Serra Mesa residents opposed it.
"So, we were caught in the middle trying to plan a community while working with two planning groups."
Sessa says that Sudberry will either build the road or pay for improvements at Mission Center Road in Mission Valley.
"One thing we are advocating for is a decision so we can proceed with the master plan. Each option costs about the same amount. We are going to spend the money anyways, whether that's at the top of the hill or down at the bottom."
The scoping meeting will be held at the Serra Mesa branch library at 6pm.
More like this:
- School traffic addressed at La Mesa meeting — Feb. 11, 2014
- Builder touts "green" component of massive Mission Valley development — July 31, 2013
- Councilmember Lorie Zapf collects $130k in six months nearly $36k from fundraisers hosted by Sudberry Properties — July 30, 2013
- Tourism Marketing District Board has nearly $2 million stashed away in reserve account — March 6, 2013
- Residents Oppose Road Linking Mission Valley to Serra Mesa — Jan. 31, 2012