Shelli DeRobertis 2 p.m., July 30
But it's not the owner extortion racket: two indicted for defrauding fans.
The U.S. Attorney's office announced today (Dec. 19) that San Diego twins Anthony and Leopold Casias were arrested yesterday by Federal Bureau of Investigation agents for defrauding sports fans. According to documents related to indictments, the two got clients of their company, L&T Sports Events, Inc., to pay in advance for travel, lodging, transportation, and game tickets to sporting events. But after clients paid the advance fees, L&T failed to provide nearly all of the services paid for, says the government. They then diverted the payments to their own use.
More like this:
- La Jollan James Y. Lee charged with defrauding clients — Feb. 15, 2014
- Charge it: Casias brothers sentenced for sports scam — Jan. 19, 2014
- He claimed he didn't know the basic stockbrokers' creed — Oct. 3, 2013
- Tale of two pairs of guilty brothers — Sept. 23, 2013
- He defrauded clients, then plotted their murders — April 12, 2013