• News Ticker alerts

Within the last week, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission has charged two San Diego County speculators with plundering funds from commodity pools they professed to be running. Jeffrey Gustaveson of Carlsbad raised $2.5 million from investors to put their money to work trading commodity futures. But he only put $400,000 into commodities; he put the rest in a checking account which he used to pay personal expenses, says the commission. To conceal the fraud, Gustaveson sent out false trading statements and reported false profits, says the commission. Separately, Charles Steven Goodie collected $494,000 from the public to put into commodity contracts. He used a false trading record, says the commission. Goodie confessed to the investors that he spent the money on personal expenses, rather than making trades, according to the commission. Goodie, too, sent out false account statements, according to the commission.

Back in the 1980s, the late J. David (Jerry) Dominelli collected money from investors for a commodity pool, touted a phony track record, lost money trading, spent the money on himself and his paramour, sent out false statements, and eventually went to prison for a long stretch. His lover, then named Nancy Hoover, admitted her involvement in the scheme and went to prison for two years.

• News Ticker alerts

More like this:

Comments

Ken Harrison Aug. 31, 2012 @ 5:59 p.m.

Where is Nancy H today? I just found my copy of your book.

Don Bauder Aug. 31, 2012 @ 9:46 p.m.

While Dominelli was in jail, she married a very rich guy from Montecito, a haven near Santa Barbara that makes Rancho Santa Fe look like National City. He died. She returned to San Diego and married a Fletcher of the famed savings & loan family. This has been in my Reader columns and you should be able to find them. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 1, 2012 @ 12:43 a.m.

Montecito is sweet, but it does not make RSF look like NC by any means..in fact 92067 zip is/has been in the top 5 nationally for per capita income and home prices....

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 7:21 a.m.

C'mon, SP, you know sarcasm when you see it. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 1, 2012 @ 10 a.m.

Don't know about per capita income, but in home prices, Montecito is way above RSF, but neither is in the top 5 nationally. According to Forbes, ifor Ca. cities, Atherton (you should know where that is surfpuppy619) is #2 and Beverly Hill is #5. Montecito does make the top 10 at # 9, but RSF-92067is way down the list at # 14 and RSF-92091 is 17. And I must say, after reading this list, I am so depressed, that it is almost too much to take. Our zip barely broke the top 150. It's just tooooo muuuuuch to take and I just don't know if I can go on. LOL

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 11:38 a.m.

The fact that these high-priced towns are small in population suggests that there are a lot of them on the list. I would think that if you're in the top 150 you are doing reasonably well. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 1, 2012 @ 1:30 p.m.

It's real estate values. The list is calculated the median asking price for both single-family homes and condominiums, weighting the price based on the mix of local property types, limited to ZIP codes where 20 or more residences were listed for sale and using a rolling average for the 90-day. So I guess it depends on your definition of small. Alpine, NJ is #1 on the list and the 2010 census list the pop. as 1849. That's small. Newport Beach is on the list at # 15 and it's 2010 pop is 85K, not so small. And yes, we're doing quite well, thank you. That's mostly due to the fact we've been here 31 yrs as of a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise, there is no way we could afford to move here now.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 5, 2012 @ 12:33 p.m.

92091 is NOT RSF-m IMO anyway.....lawsuits on that right now

RSF has - in the past- been top 5 in both per capita income of housing under 92067 zip code.

dwbat Sept. 1, 2012 @ 10:36 a.m.

Regardless of "per capita income," my guess is that Montecito has more "zillionaires" living there than RSF. In fact, Rancho Mirage may even have RSF beat. Larry Ellison has a humongous mansion there. Bill Gates has one in nearby ritzy Indian Wells.

tomjohnston Sept. 1, 2012 @ 10:56 a.m.

Oh come on. It's not THAT big. It's only a 250acre estate and he only paid about $40 million for it. Gates place in IW is not all that big. It's at Vintage Club. I've played there on several occasions and the homes are pretty nice, but not over the top.

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 11:48 a.m.

He "only" paid $40 million for a 250-acre estate? Hmmm. Are you sure your home town is only 150th on that list, Tom? I think I see your ruse: you live in a modest 'burb to keep the IRS off your tail. You have $10 billion stashed in the Caymans and don't want nosy IRS bureaucrats to get suspicious. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 1, 2012 @ 1:17 p.m.

It's called Porcupine Creek. The couple who built it were part of the group that built the Yellowstone Club. Long story short, ultra rich couple gets divorced and the wife gets the big house in the desert. The couple had some "difficulties" with the way they handled the other investors money for the Yellowstone Club. and the both had to file bk. When it was built, the desert estate was valued at about $85 million. The wife had Christie's list it at $75 million. They dropped the price to $55 million and when Ellison offered $42.9, they jumped at it. So yeah, when the asking price is $75million, you pay $42 million and your worth somewhere around$35 BILLION, well, I call that a bargain and mere pocket change for Ellison. The was a write up in the Desert Sun and a story in the WSJ...I guess you missed that. BTW, I didn't say my hometown is 150th on the list. I was born and raised in the valley, Woodland Hills to be exact. Don't see that on the list. What I said was that our zip code, where we live now, barely broke the top 150. If it was ONLY # 150, I think I would have keeled over right then and there when I read the list. LOL

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 4:32 p.m.

No question: Ellison is one of the world's richest. And $42.9 million is only a fraction of Ellison's net worth of $35 billion. But it still sounds like a lot to me. Go through the Wall Street Journal ads for super-upscale homes. I don't see many above $40 million. In fact, $25 million is often on the rich side. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 1, 2012 @ 8:40 p.m.

Well, let me ask you this. How many of those super upscale home sit on 250 acres and have there own private championship golf course? It's a lot of money for almost everyone, but for Him it's not.

Don Bauder Sept. 2, 2012 @ 7:26 a.m.

I know that all, or almost all, the super-upscale homes advertised in places like the Wall Street Journal have a lot of acreage but I seldom see a private golf course. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 1, 2012 @ 5:15 p.m.

Bill Gates also owns a RSF home, at least I thought he did....

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 6:31 p.m.

I heard from a neighbor that Gates had a RSF home. That was several years ago, though. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 11:40 a.m.

It seems to me that Bill Gates has a home in Rancho Santa Fe, too. I heard that but have never confirmed it. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 1, 2012 @ 1:52 p.m.

I will admit that I know nothing of either Gustaveson or Goodie. But I would say the difference between them and Dominelli, in my opinion, based on what I've read, is that he did it because of a woman, Nancy/Hoover/Hunter/Fletcher. She "admitted her involvement" but it was all Dominelli could do to keep her happy because he just couldn't say no to her. If I remember correctly, Hoover became Hunter before she even went to trial What ever happened to Hoover's brother? didn't he have some legal problems of his own?

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 4:39 p.m.

One big difference between Dominelli and Gustaveson and Goodie is the size of the alleged Ponzi. Dominelli's was around $80 million. I would say $2.5 million and $494,000, as the government alleges, are much smaller than what Dominelli got away with...until he got caught. Yes, Hoover became Hunter before her trial. Hoover's brother went to the slammer for running a small Ponzi scheme. He also had a drug problem. The last time I asked the family about him, he was persona non grata. But that was a long time ago. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 1, 2012 @ 5:19 p.m.

In the early 1980's when J David ran his ponzi scheme you also have to remember there were only a handful of billionaires in the USA, like 10 as I recall...today there are literally hundreds of billionaires in America and that $80 million perspective always has to be viewed in context of what money would buy at the time.

Don Bauder Sept. 1, 2012 @ 6:34 p.m.

Absolutely. Dominelli's $80 million Ponzi was a big chunk of change in the mid-1980s. But even after inflation adjustment, the Gustaveson and Goodie capers alleged by the government are small by comparison. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 2, 2012 @ 12:28 a.m.

Yes, I agree 100%...........$80 million is big today but it was HUGE 30 years ago!

Don Bauder Sept. 2, 2012 @ 7:29 a.m.

You agree because you personally know, SP: your net worth is around $80 million. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 2, 2012 @ 12:29 a.m.

Remember Don Dixon (??) Of Vernon Savings and Loan out of Texas (??) back in the 1980's, who used Vernon S&L as his personal piggy bank??

He bought a $1 million beach front Del Mar home back then, and that was the HIGH end of the market-today the high end in Del Mar is $50 million!

Don Bauder Sept. 2, 2012 @ 7:31 a.m.

Yes, and Dixon kept some ladies of the evening busy, too. Best, Don Baudere

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 5, 2012 @ 12:35 p.m.

Karen Wilkenson (SP??) was his connection who supplied him with the hookers, remember her Don, the "Rolodex Madam"!

Visduh Sept. 5, 2012 @ 2:34 p.m.

I think her name was Karen Wilkening.

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 6:35 p.m.

Yes, that was it. See my post below. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 5, 2012 @ 3:01 p.m.

Dude, that was a long time ago. It was Karen L. Wilkening. Remember when she left prison?? She was wearing some fancy dress and was picked up by a stretch limo. As I remember she skipped the country with the help of her lawyer, whose names escapes me at the moment. I think SDPD finally caught up with her after about 2 yrs. Her lawyer got busted for helping her skip and supposedly, a car dealer down in NC gave him money to give to her. He ended testifying in court that he was one of her customers, so maybe he was hoping she wouldn't get caught. Here's a little trivia for you. Who was the DDA that went to the Philippines to bring Karen Wilkening back to SD??

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 6:40 p.m.

Tom, I can't answer your question, such as who was DDA that brought her back, because I didn't follow the story once she was no longer providing services to Don Dixon and some prominent San Diegans. I don't really follow the hooker industry unless there is some tie-in to business moguls, local politicos, etc. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 5, 2012 @ 6:57 p.m.

Well, if you''' follow the indentation, you'll find I was replying to surfpuppy619's comment, so really the trivia question was meant for him. However, based on who it was, I am a little surprised that you don't know who it was, because if memory serves me correctly,which it usually does, you've written of this person many many times. And following the "hooker business" well maybe not so much. Wilkening wasn't a hooker, she was a madam. And I would have to believe that the tie ins to the the business world and politics would have been noteworthy enough for you. I believe that several years ago at least 10 if not more, Matt Potter wrote a very good piece for the Reader9before your time obviously) on prostitution in SD in which he spoke of Wilkening. And I believe that a few years ago, you mentioned her in reference to Don Dixon. I guess perhaps you simply threw the name in without looking into her. Anyway, if you're out there surfpuppy619, do YOU know who the aforementioned DDA was? Now be honest and don't look up the answer first if you don't know. And yes, I did know it was Tom McCune of McCune Chrysler Jeep Dodge. I just didn't want to appear to be showing off. LOL

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 5, 2012 @ 8:08 p.m.

I have no idea who the DDA was, typically there are MANY DDA's on a case in one way or another, at least until it gets time to do a plea deal.

I see there were several Karen l Wilkenings in the SD Area, I hope they don't have problems anymore-what are the ODDS of having. the same middle initial with the name???

Now, I can say this-there were hundreds of people in Wilkenings Rolodex, yet only ONE name came out on it's own (McCune's name came out because he helped her flee justice, not b/c of the hooker drama), and the guy was a fairly prominent lawyer that lived in Coronado, a lawyer whom I happened to have met and knew his family. Talk about a nightmare situation. He had said if his name was made public he himself was going to name names. Long story short he never followed thru on his threat. I felt awful for him, and his wife.

tomjohnston Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:41 p.m.

Would that lawyer happen to be Allen Bloom?? The DDA was your pal Bonnie Dumanis. She read the rolodex looking for a connection to a series of prostitutes that had been murdered in SD. If you remember in the Cynthia Sommer case, when the attorneys defending the DA's office have filed their summary judgment motion to have Sommer's lawsuit thrown out, Dumanis was deposed. In her deposition she claimed that Bloom had a vendetta against her because he was caught soliciting a hooker from Wilkening.

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:56 p.m.

There is no question I have mentioned Bonnie Dumanis many times. I do not remember that she was a DDA bringing Wilkening back. I know little of Bloom or Cynthia Sommer. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 5, 2012 @ 10:16 p.m.

You aren't familiar with the Cynthia Sommer case?? I find that disturbing.

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:50 p.m.

In the media business we encourage -- yea, beg -- people like that Coronado lawyer to name names. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:45 p.m.

Tom, you may be splitting hairs here. Yes, Wilkening was (is?) a madam. But aren't madams in supervisory roles in the hooker business? Or are madams strictly chief executives at whorehouses, while hookers have other supervisors, such as pimps? Please educate a naive old man on these definitional differences. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 5, 2012 @ 10:15 p.m.

I have no first hand knowledge from personal experience, but in almost every such case I have read about, the madam is the CEO, the top of the food chain. She runs the business, so to speak. Such as the DC Madam or the Manhattan Madam. And they aren't whorehouses. In these operations, it's usually strictly outcalls. Many of these operations can go on for years: Anna Gristina - a mother of four who lives in the suburbs of New York City - has been working as a high-class madam for more than 15 years, amassing millions of dollars and dozens of high-profile contacts by running an the elaborate prostitution ring out of an East 78th Street building. Not the same thing as picking up a hooker on El Cajon Blvd.

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 6:33 p.m.

Oh yes. Karen (I believe her name was Wilkening) was a famous madam in San Diego. One time I gave a speech to the Downtown Lions, as I did each year. I was told that 90 had shown up for my speech, but 125 had shown up for Karen's speech, a record. One time she fled the country and after returning, said she had read Captain Money while gone. So I forgave her for showing me up at Lions. I didn't know her, though. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 5, 2012 @ 5:01 p.m.

LOL@ "car dealer" b/c one of her BIGGEST clients was Tom McCune of McCune Chrysler-who in the 1980s was one of the LARGEST TV advertisers in the SD area......I wonder whatever happened to that guy??? He always had his dog in the commercials.

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 6:42 p.m.

I do know that one of her top clients was a prominent car dealer; I can't swear it was McCune. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:21 p.m.

Bonnie Dumanis investigated the Wilkening prostitution ring and Karin Winner covered the story for the Union Tribune. Winner broke the story that Bill Kolender was under investigation for being a whoremonger. Kolender left the employ of the Union Tribune at that point. He was able to clear his name of mongery accusations, but it cost him his life savings in legal fees. It was also alleged that Kolender covered up a shooting. A Chargers player was allegedly shot in the back by his girlfriend and it was alleged that Kolender orchestrated a coverup. This accusation was never proven.

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:39 p.m.

Didn't Wilkening antedate Dumanis's role as DA? You are usually right on these things, but it seems to me that Wilkening was a story of the 1990s, before Dumanis was DA. Let me know if my memory is faulty on that one. I do remember the Kolender story run by the U-T. I know that it was written and rewritten several times. I was never involved in it, but at the time I wasn't sure that the paper had enough to print the story. At the time I thought internal politics pushed that story. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:58 p.m.

Dumanis was the DDA I referred to in my "trivia" question above. She's the one who brought Wilkenings back from the Philipines. She joined the DA's office as a typist, but after she was admitted to the bar in 1977, she was hired as a DDA in 1978. The Wilkening case was her first big one. Kolender was indeed investigated by the grand jury, but, as one might possibly expect, they found no evidence of wrongdoing in the Wilkening case and no evidence that they showed any favoritism to Chargers players. By the way, the player allegedly shot was Dan Fouts. I don't know that left the Tribune at that point. Accoring to an LAT article, Kolender was still there in August of 91 when Pete Wilson named him as director of the California Youth Authority.

Don Bauder Sept. 5, 2012 @ 9:59 p.m.

Mea culpa, apparently. If Dumanis was the DDA involved in the Wilkening matter, then I am wrong. She looked into it as a DDA, apparently. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Sept. 5, 2012 @ 10 p.m.

Yes, Dumanis was the DA who prosecuted Wilkening and McCune was the car dealer. See LA Times article below:

Don Bauder Sept. 6, 2012 @ 7:26 a.m.

I was wrong. You must admit I hedged my statement in case I was wrong. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 5, 2012 @ 10:51 p.m.

No, I was not referring to Allen Bloom, I prefer not to mention the guys name here in public, if you want it I can email it to you.

Bonnie Dumbass had her motion for summary judgement 100% rejected by Judge Hayes in the Cynthia Somer case, one of the better federal judges, who said in response to Dumbasses request for prosecutorial immunity that "fabricating evidence in a 1st degree murder case is not subject to a claim of prosecutorial immunity" or words to similar effect. That decision can be read at justia.com. The worst part is dumbass should have her law license revoked over that, it is outrageous, but the State bar is a joke, and Dumbass is a former Board member/trustee so her chances of getting her law license yanked, for cause, is about the same as Jon Corzine being prosecuted for Fraud at MF Global under an Obama Justice Dept.

tomjohnston Sept. 6, 2012 @ 12:35 a.m.

No, it's not that big of a deal and I don't have an email that's tied to the reader anyway. I remembered Bloom from the Sommer case. There was another one that I remember reading in an LAT article,who was charged with pandering but pled out to being an accessory to a felony after the fact, supposedly to save embarrassment to some big names who were customers of the prostitution ring. But I'm pretty sure he lived in Bonita, not on Coronado and I think he died about 10 yrs ago.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 6, 2012 @ 9:50 a.m.

The guy I am referring to is very much alive and still living in the same Coronado estate he did in 1989/90 when a local TV station did an ambush interview on him coming out of his law office downtown........highly embarrassing.

Don Bauder Sept. 6, 2012 @ 7:30 a.m.

As I said, I did not get into that case, so I can't comment on Dumanis's role. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Sept. 6, 2012 @ 2:26 p.m.

You are right: Corzine will not be prosecuted. That's consistent with prior DOJ practice: nobody in banking will be prosecuted for fraudulently driving us close to the abyss. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 6, 2012 @ 3:32 p.m.

Bill Black prosecuted over 1,000 criminals in teh S&L scandel in the 1990's........

Don Bauder Sept. 6, 2012 @ 5:15 p.m.

I don't know Bill Black and can't bless the 1,000 number. However, I know that in the S&L collapse, some of the people at the top went to the slammer -- Don Dixon one of them. But that was then. This is now. And nobody is getting prosecuted for the blatant crimes -- topside crimes -- that drove us to the brink. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 7, 2012 @ 12:47 a.m.

OK, watch the first 5 minutes; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPP6xL...

Obama is a disgrace compared to this guy.

Don Bauder Sept. 7, 2012 @ 6:44 a.m.

My computer won't pick up that youtube, but I get the picture: Black says we are decriminalizing white collar fraud. He is right. And it is reprehensible. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 7, 2012 @ 12:55 p.m.

Too bad you cant see the first 5 minutes of Black-good stuff-I knwo you would approve of him......HIGHLY approve of him.

Don Bauder Sept. 7, 2012 @ 1:29 p.m.

I will get the computer straightened around. Best, Don Bauder

concernedinSD Jan. 8, 2013 @ 4:35 p.m.

As my alias indicates I am concerned in San Diego...why because as Mr. Goodie prepares for his jail sentence he appears to be conning a good friend. She is a wealthy lady who he has convinced that he's a war hero (clandestine ops of course) and that his problems with the law are all Gustavsons fault and he was just an innocent victim. He's trying to get her to sell her multi=million dollar business, we assume so he can scam her out of the monies gained.

We think his whole military history is a fraud and think the guy is up to no good but she is smitten and not listening to our concerns.

Don Bauder, do you know any more about this creep? Or anyone else for that matter...help us prove Mr. Goodie is the fraud he has proven time and again to be...other aliases =

Charles Steven Goodie Steven Goodie Steve Goodie Charles Philip Goodie

Any help would be appreciated