Walter Mencken 4:15 p.m., Dec. 12
Antonio “El Tornado de Tijuana” Margarito, a beloved professional boxer in Baja and much of Mexico, finally revealed the reason behind his retirement this summer. The 34 year old fighter recently told the Boxing Lab radio show that his eye was prone to injury, forcing him into retirement.
Margarito officially declared his retirement in June, but many expected his retirement after the December loss to Miguel Cotto. Rumors had spread that Margarito had failed a drug test after the fight, however proof was never revealed.
Margarito’s eye was badly damaged in his 2010 fight with Manny Pacquiao. The boxer stated his eye continually swelled when it was hit and is the sole reason for his retirement.
More like this:
- Alleged sicarios apprehended in Tijuana police murder — May 20, 2013
- Over $1 million worth of cocaine seized at San Ysidro — Oct. 3, 2012
- Title holding boxer once was homeless Tijuana teen — Sept. 10, 2012
- U.S. Fugitive Nabbed by Border Patrol — June 13, 2012
- Federal Police Depart Tijuana After Short Stay — April 16, 2012