Matt Potter 7 p.m., April 1
In Wake of Durkee Allegations, Davis Throws a Fundraiser
Fresh from revelations that Burbank-based campaign treasurer Kinde Durkee allegedly looted over $250,000 from the campaign treasurery of Susan Davis, the Democratic congresswoman held her annual evening fundraising reception Saturday night at the Mission Hills mansion of ex-Port Commissioner Laurie Black and husband, developer Robert Lawrence.
According to the invitation for the event, posted on the Sunlight Foundation's Party Time website, tickets ran from $5000 for the Speakers Cabinet, including 10 attendees: $2,500 for the Leadership Circle, (five attendees); and $1000 for Committee Chair (2 attendees).
"Our treasurer was arrested and is accused of funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions, to herself from our campaign, and the campaigns of many, many others," Davis said in a "Dear Friends" message to previous contributors.
"As this scandal emerges, she may well become known as the Bernie Madoff of campaign finance treasurers," Davis wrote.
Davis added: "As many of you have often said to me, 'Please let me know when you really need my help' -- well I do now and I am not holding back."
Based on the email address given on the invitation, Davis's current campaign finance consultant is the San Diego firm of Fink & Hernandez Consulting LLC.
More like this:
- Filner's Unkind Durkee — July 11, 2012
- Federal Election Commission Cites "Problems" with Filner 2012 Campaign Committee Disclosures — May 22, 2012
- Yet Another Free Foreign Junket for Susan Davis — Oct. 17, 2011
- Susan Davis Turns to D.C. Lobbyists for New Campaign Money — Oct. 12, 2011
- Durkee Got Token San Diego Ethics Fine — Sept. 7, 2011