Dorian Hargrove 5:30 p.m., March 26
Sempra Wins Solar Energy Award
Sempra Generation, a subsidiary of San Diego-based Sempra Energy, has been announced as the winner of the 2011 Solar Energy Industries Association Solar Champion Award in the Project Developer category.
Sempra Generation, which has primarily operated natural gas power generating plants, is making large investments in solar and wind power as part of a nationwide industry goal to add 10 gigawatts of solar power to the grid each year. California, meanwhile, has instructed its utility companies to source one-third of their power from renewable sources by the year 2020.
“Solar power is positively impacting communities and local economies across the country, and we are excited to have the opportunity to support America's transition to a cleaner energy future,” said Jeffrey W. Martin, president and CEO of Sempra Generation, in accepting the award.
The company recently announced an expansion of what is already the largest solar generating facility in the country.
More like this:
- Sempra inks power deal — Dec. 14, 2012
- More Opposition to Cross-Border Power — Aug. 25, 2011
- Sempra to Quadruple Nevada Solar Generation — Aug. 5, 2011
- Sempra To Increase Alternative Energy Generation in Kern County — Nov. 11, 2010
- PG&E Benefits from Massive Sempra Generation Arizona Solar Farm — Oct. 14, 2010