Matt Potter 4:30 p.m., April 28
Gay Rights Group Signs On with Occupy Movement
Local LGBT rights group San Diego Alliance for Marriage Equality (SAME) has released a statement of support and says its members will be participating in the Occupy San Diego protests, slated to begin in just a few hours.
SAME has “organized or taken part in over 60 events, including two planned acts of civil disobedience and countless rallies since its founding in 2008,” the release says.
The group says it sees parallels between recent police violence against protestors in New York City at Occupy Wall Street, ground zero of the Occupy movement, and police tactics used during the Stonewall Rebellion of 1969. “Disenfranchised people of Greenwich Village fought police harassment and violence and rioted night after night, weary of the abuse by the system,” SAME writes.
The Alliance plans to hold its regular monthly meeting next Tuesday in the midst of the protests, with a topic of discussion being their previous experience with civil disobedience.
More like this:
- Activists incensed over Keystone XL pipeline — Feb. 4, 2014
- Mike Garcia Gets Off the Couch to Occupy San Diego — Dec. 27, 2011
- Occupiers Pledge to Retake Civic Center — Oct. 28, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Remains at Civic Center, Modifies Consensus Process - At Least 26 Tijuana Occupiers Arrested — Oct. 18, 2011
- Initial Victory may be lost in all of the re-staging — Oct. 14, 2011