• News Ticker alerts

The Golden Hill Community Development Corporation (GGHCDC)is calling on Golden Hill and South Park residents to petition councilmembers Todd Gloria and David Alvarez, and Mayor Sanders so that they can get their MAD back.

The call for help comes more than a week after a California appeals court ruled the City improperly created the the maintenance assessment district and ordered the district invalid.

The message claims that many residents initially opposed the district have changed their mind and want to bring back the MAD.

"You told us that since then you have come to appreciate the tangible benefits to the community as we have quickly fulfilled your requests and addressed your needs to help make improvements in the public right of way. You have further expressed your disappointment in the pending dissolution of the [MAD]. And thus, we realize the importance of fighting to maintain [it]."

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

nostalgic Oct. 5, 2011 @ 7:34 p.m.

What part of "invalid" do these people not understand? The people who voted NO before have changed their minds? No need to have another election, no doubt. That would just complicate the issues. Is this the American Way where the GH CDC knows what the community wants and don't bother following the law? This attitude got the city where it is today with the Golden Hill MAD. The people who profit from it want to keep it going.

himichael Oct. 5, 2011 @ 8:26 p.m.

Are you kidding me? If you take the city's bogus "votes" out of the equation, we residents of golden hill voted AGAINST the rainbows and unicorns version of the MAD. Just guess how we feel about the real-world version of the MAD.

"The beneficial services you have come to expect...such as graffiti removal, refuse collection from public waste containers, tree maintenance, street and sidewalk cleanup and large litter removal, will come to an end unless you speak up."

Allow me to translate from self-interested, politicized sleaze-ball into plain English:

"The services you already pay for with your property taxes can be enhanced with vain gestures (such as imperceptible graffiti removal, weird dudes poking around public waste containers, and annoying dudes with loud blowers pushing dust from the gutter to your car and driveway) that justify our tossing your money around. This will come to an end unless you're a sucker and beg to keep paying extra taxes.

-michael christian

FunHater Oct. 5, 2011 @ 8:32 p.m.

But Michael you forgot those beautiful neighborhood flags, the bicycle stands, oh and the flower pots that clog our sidewalks! How did we ever get by without those?????

madhatter Oct. 5, 2011 @ 8:34 p.m.

Unbelievable! The first time they got it without our votes, when we clearly said NO. Now the appeals COURT (I repeat the COURT) ruled that the city improperly created the GGHCDC and now once again these people AGAIN want to impose upon us? Besides, for what services? We, home owners don't want their non-service. How come that council members Todd Gloria, David Alvarez and now the mayor himself back these people to hold on their illegal jobs, against the people will and the decision of the appeal Court. Knock knock, is anyone there?

TrueJustice Oct. 5, 2011 @ 8:42 p.m.

Per several reliable CDC sources the City Attorney has a top attorney writing a "legal" MAD. A Todd Gloria staff member is orchestrating the letter writing campaign down to suggesting language.

Signatures are being gathered from anyone, ignoring the fact that it is only property owners who pay assessments and vote.

The proponents of the MAD are right on. There is a dire shortage of City services but these services should be paid for by taxpayers, not a few property owners.

area51 Oct. 5, 2011 @ 9:02 p.m.

What?!

I have NOT changed my mind at all!!!

The services I have "come to expect"?!!! The services provided thus far have already been paid for through my regular property taxes and this "refuse collection from public waste containers, tree maintenance, street and sidewalk cleanup and large litter removal" is the biggest pile of ... ever stepped in!

Graffiti Removal: Done this myself from the moment I moved here, others around me do it as well. Beyond this, we already pay for this service through the city via our property tax & anyone can call the hotline to have it removed, how is this so special a service?? The city does a questionable job of removal anyway, as well as the MAD and the citizens have done a much better job, because we actually care about our homes and neighborhoods.

Public waste containers: "MAD" money extorted from me paid to for, now I have to pay to have them emptied. Get rid of them and we don't have to pay to have them emptied.

Tree Maintenance: paid for by the city through my taxes, but now I pay again through my MAD fee, and they came out once in 3 years and trimmed... a few branches off the DYING tree in front of my house. I can do that myself.

Street and sidewalk cleanup: I had the joy of coming home mid day recently to find a nice tan truck in front of my home with 2 men in nice tan slacks and tan polo shirts with the Clean Green & Save logo I PAID for with my extorted MAD funds embroidered on their shirts. They got out of the truck and used a little dust broom to sweep the NOTHING in front of my home for a few moments and then left.

BTW 40 percent of this MAD money they extort from us goes to pay the city and overhead and also paid for the "Clean Green & Safe" branding - not a reasonable use of my money! They used MY money to put up benches in front of retail establishments. Retail establishments should pay for benches outside their stores, not me. They used my money to pay for doggie poop collection stations around the park. I don't have a dog and it is the responsibility of dog owners to take care of their dog's poop, not mine.

area51 Oct. 5, 2011 @ 9:03 p.m.

They used my money to put up some communal flower pots along Broadway... said flower pots will now need regular maintenance and weeding, replacement of dead flowers and regular watering... seems this MAD just creates reasons to sustain itself.

They used my money to dump a hand full of river rock in the well of the said dying tree in front of my home for "aesthetics." I could have put the rocks there for free, I have plenty in my yard and in fact give them away free to neighbors. The rocks I removed because they had ants now nesting in them and the trash from people walking by as well as cigarette butts were collecting in the rocks and they also provided a great growing ground for weeds...

Sheesh! Please GGHCDC and MAD folks, don't do me any more favors because you are creating more work, cost and problems than you can ever resolve! What you all did to the property owners was a travesty at best and 2 judges have told you that. Get over it, disband it as you were ordered to do and if you have some folks here who want to donate their money toward doggie poop stations and benches for merchants please take up a voluntary collection.

This MAD needs to go and the only people who support it are the ones who are gaining from it.

InOmbra Oct. 6, 2011 @ 8:31 a.m.

Hey, CDC board members, executives, and silly followers: Judge Judy did not decide this issue. Do you understand the term "constitutional"????

The cheating and lying that your little band of grifters and the City engaged in to push this charade forward really don't matter to the court: the deciding issue was the fact that the entire process, specially concocted by the City (with help from former City Attorney Casey Gwinn and Marco Li Mandri), violates the State law and State Constitution. Get it? Even if you and the City had chosen to be honest, you would still lose.

You are not in a TV drama with Judge Judy. You can't throw a fit and have the 4th Appellate change its mind. The decision was based on decided case law at the State Supreme Court level.

I know it's hard to understand much more than your simple-minded greedy ends-justify-any-means thinking, but ...go away.

concerned Oct. 6, 2011 @ 9:38 a.m.

I would like the GGH-CDC and the City to PLEASE stop dragging my neighborhood through the mud. We the people have spoken through the courts TWICE! The MAD is ILLEGAL. We the majority of property owners still do NOT want any MAD. We LOVE our neighborhood and care for our properties. If the City-sponsored GGH-CDC wants "additional services" for "special recipients", it should collect dues from whoever they are and create a fund for that purpose, then implement. But count me out.

BlueSouthPark Oct. 6, 2011 @ 10:48 a.m.

Amen! One of the GGH-DCD supporters owns at least nine big rental properties on Broadway, 20th, and 21st streets. He wrote a letter to the Council in support of the MAD in 2007, referring to people who objected to it as

"bad apples" with "erroneous info, spreading fear and simplistic messages that are wrong" that "uninformed property owners want to believe."

That man's assessments for his properties totaled $3900/year. But guess what? The GGH-CDC paid him, out of MAD funds, more than $2160/year to rent a couple of his garages to store the booty they bought with MAD money. Is that some kind of cool kickback? And, get this: he charged the MAD a $50 late fee every time the incompetent GGH-CDC was couldn't mange to get his check to him on time.

I suggest that Mr. Big-MAD-supporter property owner write the GGH-CDC a big fat check and fund them privately, now that the MAD game is over.

BlueSouthPark Oct. 6, 2011 @ 10:12 a.m.

The Golden Hill Development Corp thinks they can just do a re-do! I almost missed this story.

The Corp held a meeting last Monday night to talk about spending the money they have left from last year's assessments (many tens of thousands of $$), and if you ever wanted to see the quality of people in private business groups that the city of San Diego allows to control public money, you should have been there.

They mostly talked about how to keep on getting the money. One guy who is on this brilliant team actually believes that they can get a new vote and get it on the upcoming election ballot in 2012 "with a huge turnout!" Yes. He actually thinks it is something that is on a real statewide election ballot. Same character said that he knows "Marco Landrini" [sic] "from Little Italy, ...a big player on the inside with the city" and that Marco is handling this. I kid you not. Should we notify the FBI now, or later?

Another confused lady seemed to think that Todd Gloria can and will just cut through the "red tape" and get a new MAD, "without having to spend anymore CDBG money on another survey or vote," or any other inconvenient stuff. Just write a new legal engineer's report, and that'd do it. Carry on!

Yet another daffy lady said that all the things that the appellate court mentioned were moot [because the whole assessment is terminated] are OK, and that a new legal engineer's report could just "include all of those moot things." If you read the appellate ruling, you'll laugh at her confusion.

Yes, the city signs contracts with people like this and gives them complete control of public money. Zero oversight.

People of San Diego: Please join me the next time you are given a chance to vote on anything that will result in a generating real tax revenue, revenue that goes to the General Fund. Then you won't be faced with the foolishness of having ignorant, unqualified groups taking your money in the form of assessments. And you won't end up with a San Diego that has decorative banners hanging over cracked sidewalks in front of shuttered libraries on potholed streets. DeMaio has made it clear that he loves assessments and hates taxes. Nathan Fletcher too. Filner will try to generate real revenue for the General Fund. Please give him a chance and join in.

And please disregard the slant presented in the story in VoSD about Erie's book "Paradise Plundered." What Erie is talking about is how San Diegans don't want to pay real taxes that go to the General Fund, not about people who fight unconstitutional, wasteful assessments.

Please be willing to pay real taxes. The General Fund needs all of us to chip in. Libertarians and Republicans, give an inch or two, just once in a while. Please.

madhatter Oct. 6, 2011 @ 2:06 p.m.

BlueSouthPark, cheers!~ Yes! Filner and taxes will protect us from incompetent people. Thank you for your comments.

BlueSouthPark Oct. 6, 2011 @ 5:28 p.m.

You bet! Bob Dylan had some good advice for the City and those who ride with them to exploit the rest of us:

"To live outside the law you must be honest."

It would at least be a start for our lawless local government and their hangers-on.

sswvjt Oct. 14, 2011 @ 2:27 p.m.

"The beneficial services you have come to expect...such as graffiti removal, refuse collection from public waste containers, tree maintenance, street and sidewalk cleanup and large litter removal, will come to an end unless you speak up," read the message from the Greater Golden Hill CDC..."

What a flim-flam. I voted against this sham from the beginning and have NOT changed my mind, the only thing that has changed is my level of disgust and disappointment at the lies such as the one quoted above. I haven't received any beneficial services, unless you call the privilege of paying twice for services the City is obligated to provide as part of my property taxes a beneficial service.

Shame, shame, shame!

Why_Be_Dishonest Oct. 23, 2011 @ 8:18 a.m.

fredjones2005 Oct. 24, 2011 @ 11:08 a.m.

This is one great scam. They get to work around prop 13 with just a little scam. If this were a business they would be going to jail for fraud.

fredjones2005 Oct. 24, 2011 @ 12:29 p.m.

It is time to make a grand jury complaint.

Why_Be_Dishonest Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:33 p.m.

Why_Be_Dishonest Oct. 27, 2011 @ 8:17 a.m.