Susan Luzzaro 7:30 p.m., Feb. 9
Food Carts Get a Little Push from City Hall
Mayor Sanders announced plans to bail out the owner of a downtown coffee-cart on Wednesday after the owner claimed that Occupy San Diego activists chased her out of the Civic Center plaza.
Sanders said the owner of Centre City Coffee Stand will not have to pay the $1,000 monthly rent for October. In fact, the owner won't have to pay until she returns to the plaza.
More support came from mayoral candidate Carl DeMaio (pictured). On Wednesday, the councilmember announced that he will accept donations for the Centre-City Coffee stand as well as another food cart that operates in the plaza.
"These two business owners got a raw deal due to the recent Occupy protests and the San Diego community needs to come together to help them in their time of need," said DeMaio.
In addition to accepting donations, DeMaio is planning a fundraiser this coming Monday, to help the businesses out. The event will be held at Downtown Johnny Brown's at 6pm.
More like this:
- Carl DeMaio's Fundraiser Deemed "Disgusting" and "Publicity Stunt" by Occupy San Diego Spokesperson — Nov. 8, 2011
- Occupy San Diego Pushes Vendors to Return — Nov. 5, 2011
- Sanders says city should fund stadium by selling the sun — Dec. 31, 2010
- Schools, Parks, and Safety Services Pay for the Chargers — Dec. 15, 2010
- 2005 A Year In Review — Jan. 5, 2006