Walter Mencken 11:31 a.m., Feb. 1
Dumanis Seeks Justice
San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis is out for “justice” in former-Governor Schwarzenegger’s commutation of Esteban Nunez during his final day in office.
In 2010 Nunez pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter and assault with a deadly weapon during a fight near SDSU
On May 11, Dumanis announced that her office filed a civil lawsuit on behalf of victims Luis Santos, Evan Henderson, Keith Robertson, and Brandon Scheerer.
Dumanis argues that the Governor failed to notify the victims and did not give them a chance to speak to the commutation as required under a provision in Marsy’s Law, a victims bill of rights act approved in 2008.
“Once again, we are going to court seeking justice for the victims in this case,” said Dumanis. “A governor who is considering a commutation has the constitutional duty under Marsy’s Law to include the voices of the victims. In this case, that clearly didn’t happen.”
More like this:
- Fabian Nunez willing to write check to any Hueso running for public office? — Jan. 18, 2013
- Núñez kicks in for Hueso senate bid — Jan. 14, 2013
- Fabian Nuñez Reports Almost $4.7 Million in Campaign Cash — Jan. 30, 2012
- Citizens Against Dumanis Take to Facebook — Aug. 15, 2011
- The Governor Signs Kehoe's Strangulation Bill Into Law — July 28, 2011