Ken Leighton 7 p.m., Oct. 26
North Park Maintenance Assessment Fails
North Park property owners rejected the proposal to create the maintenance assessment overlay district that I wrote about in this week's paper. The district will not be formed.
In a ballot summary provided by the City, commercial property owners in North Park had the biggest impact on the vote. According to the summary, of the 94 property owners that voted, only 27 voted in favor of creating the overlay district. Fifteen of the nineteen industrial property owners also voted against the measure.
In contrast, the majority of single-family residential property owners voted in favor of creating the district. Of the 537 owners of single family homes and condominiums that voted, 340 wanted to pay the extra assessment. The opposite was true for owners of multi-family complexes and owners of duplexes. Their vote was 73 in favor and 126 against.
In all nearly 37 percent of property owners sent their ballots to the City. 61 percent of the weighted voted was in opposition.
More like this:
- Celebrating SD's Last 2 Drive-in Theaters (1st DI Opened 79 Years Ago Today) — June 6, 2012
- Let's All Go to the Drive Ins! The Santee & South Bay Outdoor Theaters — Feb. 1, 2012
- Golden Hill Residents Aren't MAD Anymore — Sept. 22, 2011
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011
- North Park Clean and Safe: Good for Business, Bad for Residents? — July 6, 2011