Various Authors 4:06 p.m., March 26
French Gourmet Heads Get Probation, Fines
Owner Michel Malecot and manager Richard Kauffmann of the La Jolla restaurant French Gourmet were sentenced in federal court today (Dec. 22) to probation and fines for knowingly employing more than ten undocumented aliens over a one-year period.
Malecot got five years of probation and will have to pay the restaurant's financial penalty of $396,575, according to the U.S. attorney's office. Kauffmann was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered to pay $2,500.
Malecot admitted in his guilty plea that at least 91 aliens were unlawfully employed at his restaurant between 2005 and 2008.
More like this:
- French Gourmet Owner: "In Hindsight, Advertising That 'Our Pastry Chef Is So Good, It Should Be Illegal' Was Not the Best Idea." — Oct. 18, 2011
- French Gourmet, Officers Plead Guilty — Oct. 13, 2011
- French Gourmet bust makes the NY Times — Sept. 8, 2010
- Times Highlights Malecot Indictment — Sept. 8, 2010
- Good deal at French Gourmet — Sept. 1, 2010