Jimi Olsen 7:30 p.m., Oct. 9
Bar Gives Shames Warning Letter
The State Bar of California has issued Michael Shames, head of Utility Consumers' Action Network (UCAN), a warning letter for identifying himself as an attorney when he was an inactive member of the bar.
Shames had dropped out of the bar but listed himself as an attorney on California Public Utilities Commission documents, on UCAN's website, and in books in which he gave legal advice to readers. A whistleblower inside UCAN complained to the bar. After the complaint was filed, Shames renewed his membership in the bar.
"Mr. Shames will be required to attend State Bar Ethics School," says a letter from bar investigator. The warning letter "is not discipline and cannot be considered evidence of professional misconduct."
More like this:
- UCAN Demands Shames Return $474,000 in Bonuses — Oct. 3, 2012
- Shames's Divorce, Computer Seizing Further Roil UCAN — Oct. 1, 2012
- Shames Rejoins Bar — Oct. 12, 2011
- State Bar Looking at Shames Again — Sept. 13, 2011
- UCAN Talking Merger with TURN — July 21, 2011