Susan Luzzaro 9 p.m., Aug. 20
Wind Triggers Power Outages in Ramona, Barona
San Diego Gas & Electric is reporting that high winds have caused power outages in the East County regions of Ramona, Iron Mountain, and Barona. Other areas at risk of outage include the northeastern San Diego regions of Mesa Grande, North Wynola, Ortega, De Luz, and Fallbrook.
“We have an obligation to protect public safety as well as the integrity of our electric system,” states SDG&E’s website announcing the outage and wind warnings. “If wind speeds exceed electric system limitations or we are unable to operate the system safety, we will turn off the power. If this is necessary, the power will be off for as long as these conditions last and will not be turned back on until it is safe.”
Suspected problems with overhead transmission systems are cited as the reason for the current outage, with power expected to be returned to residents by around 10 p.m. this evening. Gusts over 45 MPH could lead the utility to call for further outages. Orange County and portions of Los Angeles are currently under a National Weather Service red flag warning concerning strong winds through Friday afternoon.
More like this:
- Water Authority considering hydroelectric power at San Vicente — July 9, 2013
- San Diego had surplus power even during recent heat wave — Aug. 23, 2012
- Class-Action Suit Alleges Negligence Caused Blackouts — Sept. 14, 2011
- Money for Studies at San Onofre — July 6, 2011
- Will These Keep the Lights On? — May 28, 2008