Lately I’ve been buying most of my groceries at a certain grocery store…not sure if I’m allowed to name it here so let’s just call it “Dons.” Most people in PQ either shop at “Dons” or the other store, which we’ll just call “Gator Brothers.” Gator Brothers is cheaper, but Dons has better customer service. If you’re looking for some obscure foodstuff (i.e. “Excuse me, could you help direct me to the German schwartzbrod?”) they will lead you right to it with an enthusiam befitting a quest for the Holy Grail.

Plus, the bag boys (that’s not politically correct, is it?) at Dons always ask if I need help out to my car, no matter how many (or few) items I’m buying. I guess that’s life in the ‘burbs for you….

I had to laugh the other day, though, when I stopped there after work to pick up a magazine and box of feminine hygiene products. “Would you like any help out to your car?” the gangly, red-faced, teenage boy asked earnestly.

“No thanks,” I said, quickly grabbing the plastic bag and making a beeline for the door. Maybe there IS such a thing as too much customer service.

Comments

PistolPete Oct. 14, 2009 @ 8:36 p.m.

LMAO! It's ok lovestowrite. You can say Ralph's,Stater Brothers,Von's and even Albertson's here. Here's a video you might get a kick out of....

CuddleFish Oct. 14, 2009 @ 8:49 p.m.

Vons is overly friendly, I can't get used to them!

FullFlavorPike Oct. 14, 2009 @ 8:51 p.m.

Just don't say Henry's. The blog server's crash and then we........

lovetowrite Oct. 14, 2009 @ 9:16 p.m.

Thanks for the link, Pete! I bet the next time I'm there that little video will pop into my head and I'll probably burst out laughing and scare the little old lady in line behind me...haha

PistolPete Oct. 14, 2009 @ 9:20 p.m.

LOL! First time I heard that was on someone's MS profile. I died laughing 'cause I was way too drunk. It was the funniest thing I had heard in awhile. I like to sing it on the rare occasion I'm in Von's. And I totally forgot about Henry's. I only buy macadamian nut cookies and french bread from there.

lovetowrite Oct. 14, 2009 @ 9:28 p.m.

BTW, I'm glad to hear I can use the real names without getting anyone in trouble, but it was kind of fun using the psuedonyms. How about these...?

Jayder Toes Windmeal Farms Food for Lace and last but not least... Alibertosons

jenjen Oct. 14, 2009 @ 10:14 p.m.

Robotic customer service can be amusing. I was in the drugstore buying feminine products, painkillers, chocolate and vodka when the college age cashier dude robotically asked how I was doing, just like he asks every other customer. I looked at him, waved at my purchases and said "how does it LOOK like I'm doing?"

antigeekess Oct. 14, 2009 @ 10:53 p.m.

jenjen wrote:

"I was in the drugstore buying feminine products, painkillers, chocolate and vodka when the college age cashier dude robotically asked how I was doing, just like he asks every other customer. I looked at him, waved at my purchases and said "how does it LOOK like I'm doing?""

LOL. That's golden, jenjen.

FullFlavorPike Oct. 15, 2009 @ 11:30 a.m.

There's this game I sometimes play called "What're The Three Weirdest Things You Could Bring To The Checkout Counter."

I guess Jen plays too :)

PistolPete Oct. 15, 2009 @ 12:24 p.m.

I'll refrain from further comment....lol