Garrett Harris 5 p.m., Feb. 6
- Community Blog
- I had two interviews
Wonderful day for visibility from up here, having climbed up out of his canyon, Nick scans over to the ocean, so close, like pudding, chrome clay just beyond that hill, Carlsbad or Leucadia, Oceanside, San Clemente, Catalina island he practically sees the dock, San Nicolas he sees the glare of the sun careen off the hills.
He has sugar cookies cooking in his stone bread oven, from up here he discerns the heat rising in a shaft, diluting its reality, escaping into the clouds.
"They're just about done." He says to himself, and makes his way back.
"I'm like a dwarf up here." He thinks, perched on the little portico's stone retainment wall, the heat from the oven emanating out of the windows and onto his back.
"I should have made a pizza."
More like this:
- New happy hour for downtown's oldest coffeehouse — Aug. 24, 2013
- The Rolling Stones' first San Diego concert was 48 years ago this week (11-1-64) — Nov. 1, 2012
- No Air in North Park, Stand in Someone Else's Doorway — Aug. 15, 2012
- Do Wood-Fired Beehives Bake the Best Pizzas? — Aug. 29, 2011
- He pulls the bottle from the bag, replaces it, and lowers his head on two upraised thumbs. — May 24, 2007