• Game Day alerts

The Vedder Cup was decided on Wednesday but the day game on Thursday wrapped up the fourth and final leg of the Cup between the Padres and the Seattle Mariners. It was a one-sided affair with the Mariners stifling the Padres while hitting five home runs in route to a 7-1 victory.

Padres starter Andrew Cashner pitched well at times but left a couple of off-speed pitches up and Mariners hitters took advantage of them on a day where the ball traveled well. Mariners starter “King” Felix Hernandez was on his game, going eight innings and holding the Padres to a run on just three hits and three walks in eight innings.

The home runs were the story of the game. Cashner gave up three of them, with two being on poorly-located change-ups while Kendry Morales hit a good pitch out, a fastball down.

“The ball was carrying today but I think it was more of a function of location more than the ball traveling,” manager Buddy Black said postgame about Cashner’s performance. “You know, overall you look at it, Cash[ner] went six [innings], there were times when you saw the good fastball, you saw the good change. No walks.”

Opposing starter Felix Hernandez wouldn’t give the Padres a chance to catch up, so the two home runs given up by reliever Tim Stauffer wouldn’t have made a difference, regardless. “He’s a great competitor who obviously has all of his pitches, he’s in control of all of his pitches at all times and you could tell today that he was commanding the zone pretty well,” said Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso concerning the pitching of Hernandez.

Cashner was more critical of his pitching on Thursday. “I made a lot of mistakes, my change-up, and my breaking ball was really bad today. I got a couple of change-ups up in the zone and I just have to do better than that,” he said. “I just have to be better than that and not give up home runs.”

With the series split both home and away, the Vedder Cup rests with San Diego. And we are now free to put the silly thing aside until next season. This, while Padres pitchers figure out how not to give up the long ball to the opposition, which is beginning to become a problem for them this season.

Notes:

In AAA Tucson, Cameron Maybin and Logan Forsythe continue their rehab assignment. Maybin was 1 for 5 but hit his first home run with the minor league team and Forsythe was 3 for 3 and was only a home run shy of hitting for the cycle. No word on how long the duo will stay in AAA.

On Friday, the Toronto Blue Jays come to town to kick-off a three-game set. The Padres will send Jason Marquis (6-2, 3.70) to the hill while Chad Jenkins (1-0, 3.60) will throw for the Jays. Game time is 7:10 PM PDST, radio 1090 AM and television’s Fox Sports San Diego will cover the action if you can’t come out to the park.

• Game Day alerts

Comments

Ken Harrison May 31, 2013 @ 4:24 a.m.

Wasn't this the "rival" series weekend? Dodgers v Angels? Mets v Yankees? San Fran v Oakland? Why do we get Seattle? Since when are we a rival of Seattle. The Rockies are granola people too, just like Seattle, why didn't we get AZ?

Dave Rice May 31, 2013 @ 1:42 p.m.

Interesting question. I'm trying to remember...did even AZ exist when interleague started and SEA was declared our "natural" rival? I dislike Zonie behavior at our beaches more than I dislike whatever you call people from Seattle, and I imagine most people in SD do as well...

tomjohnston May 31, 2013 @ 8:14 p.m.

I believe that inter-league began either 1 or 2 yrs before the dbacks first season. While SD and Seattle are at opposite ends of the pacific coast, whom else would be the next choice. The Dodgers and Angels have a 50 yr history and the Giants and A's started playing before the Padres existed as a major league team. Seattle has been around since '77 or '78, so when interleague started, they were the logical choice. And I believe it's residents are referred to as Seattleites

tomjohnston May 31, 2013 @ 8:15 p.m.

Ken Harrison You do realize that the Padres and D-Backs both play in the same division, right?

David Dodd June 1, 2013 @ 9:04 a.m.

The "natural rivals" thing was a lot like a forced, arranged marriage for a few teams. Padres - Mariners was certainly an arranged marriage. There are others - now that Houston is in the AL now, they are paired up with Colorado rather than with Texas. For the true "natural Rivals" to play each other every year seems fine, but to force teams into it seems odd. The Vedder Cup reference was born from such an oddity.

tomjohnston June 1, 2013 @ 10:41 a.m.

Refriedgringo I think I understand the point of view that you are trying to convey, but let me add one point of slight disagreement. One must make the distinction between natural rivals who already do play each other every year and the inter-league rival games that were just played. For example, as a Dodger fan, and an Angel fan, I love seeing them play each other in inter-league play and that match up makes total sense. But we have gotten to see them play the freeway series at the end of spring training for as long as I can remember. To me, and most of the Dodger fans I know, our "natural" rival is the Giants. Always has been, always will be. You're a long-time baseball guy, so I don't need to remind you of the pre-inter-league days and those rivalries. Cubs-Cards, Yankees-Red Sox, Phillies-Pirates, Pirates-Reds, and even the Dodgers-Yankees became a pretty heated rivalry because of the World Series. But who is the Padres " natural" rival. As a Padres fan, whom do you consider that team to be. I know as a Dodger fan, for me it's only a secondary, geographical/divisional thing because the Giants will always be the main rivalry. As for the inter-league "rivalry", yeah I agree in a lot of cases it's contrived. Some are obvious, Dodgers-Angels, Yankees-Mets, Giants-A's, Cubs-Sox, And many of these are actually good rivalries. But if MLB is going to schedule league-wide inter-league series, as was this case, then yeah, everybody has to play and at some point, it inevitably becomes more about the geography than the rivalry. It might have made more sense for the Padres and Arizona to host Houston and Texas and for Colorado to play Seattle and the travel is about the same to San Diego, but maybe it was a west coast thing. Who knows. No one outside of the MLB offices has ever said what the league does always makes sense.

David Dodd June 1, 2013 @ 11:07 a.m.

No, I certainly agree with your point. If you look at what MLB termed as "natural rivals" from back in 1997 when they started interleague play, most have names (and make sense, as you point out). The Freeway Series, the Subway Series, the I-40 series, and so on. Detroit - Pittsburgh and San Diego - Seattle are the only two that are unnamed, and unnatural, up to this season. The Vedder Cup reference came from a bunch of Padres Fans that blog for fun, and it's one of those things I love about Padres fans in that they are sardonic when they are at their best. Here's an interview that my pal Craig Elston did the other day on 1090 AM with Geoff Hancock, it's worth a listen:

tomjohnston June 1, 2013 @ 4:03 p.m.

And as you pointed out, Vedder is a Cubs fan, so even though he went to HS in SD, the whole Vedder Cup thing is rather silly