Walter Mencken 6:15 p.m., Feb. 28
Which defending section champion has the best chance to repeat in 2011?
Though Oceanside currently owns an unprecedented streak of seven consecutive section titles, the team with the next longest active championship streak should have an easier time continuing its success this season. Cathedral Catholic has won four straight Division III titles, and of the five defending champions they have the best chance to repeat in 2011.
After a 1-4 start last year, Cathedral Catholic has begun this season with wins over Steele Canyon and Torrey Pines, allowing only seven points in each game. The Dons have size on both the offensive and defensive lines just like in years past, and junior running back Tony Johnson has topped the 100-yard mark twice. And despite the addition of Olympian, Cathedral Catholic plays in a relatively shallow Division III — why the Dons get the nod as most likely to repeat over an Oceanside team that plays in deep Division II.
Cathedral Catholic (III)
Valley Center (IV) (Madison forfeited title)
More like this:
- Season Preview: No. 4 Cathedral Catholic Dons — Aug. 25, 2012
- CIF Finals Previews: Divisions I/II/III/IV — Dec. 4, 2011
- Sound Off: Most Likely to Repeat — Sept. 16, 2009
- Division II State Bowl Preview — Dec. 16, 2008
- Sound Off: Who has the best chance to finish perfect? — Nov. 5, 2008