• Scam Diego alerts

The U.S. economy added only 103,000 jobs in December; economists had expected 175,000. The unemployment rate declined to 9.4% from 9.8% in November, but that was a result of fewer people in the workforce. Many have stopped looking for jobs. Over the past three months, the economy has added an average of 128,000 jobs. That is barely enough to keep up with population growth -- high school and college grads and immigrants entering the labor force. One possibly positive sign is that the birth/death adjustment model, a purely computerized estimate of jobs added or subtracted by hiring by supposedly new businesses, went down 357,000. That suggests the actual employment gain could have been even higher than reported. Usually, this model reports a significant gain, raising some eyebrows.

Generally, the December report suggests the economy is not recovering anywhere near as rapidly as some expect. Early in the day (Jan. 7), stocks are down very slightly. However, stocks have been rising of late on bad news, on expectation of more liquidity flowing from the Federal Reserve and federal pump-priming programs. For the market, bad news can be good news.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

nan shartel Jan. 8, 2011 @ 9:20 a.m.

Funny thing about statistics...they are usually very biased, slanted or give a poor representation of the real world and most people's situations ;-(

I took a few statistics classes in college and they taught me some interesting things...

Statistics LIE

People LIE about statistics

so who's to know who's right...and no one may be attempting to slant the statistics.....we just naturally gravitate toward our own personal biases

look for what works to support our individual arguments

the pupster works hard to make himself aware of material that may be slightly out of his range of expertise..but i laud him for that and his honesty to admit it

Crystalcove's numbers are correct -- assuming that the government's are correct. Best, Don Bauder

here we go trusting the government again...yikes!!!

Don Bauder Jan. 8, 2011 @ 1:50 p.m.

The statistics themselves don't necessarily lie. It's those who twist the statistics for their own dubious purposes that do the lying. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 8, 2011 @ 9:25 a.m.

BTB Pupster and CC....as Prissy was wont to say in "Gone With The Wind"

Lawzy, I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' statistics" myself ;-D

so i'm stayin' out of this fracas

Don Bauder Jan. 8, 2011 @ 1:51 p.m.

Darn it. Believe it or not, I never saw Gone with the Wind. I may be one of a kind. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 8, 2011 @ 5:42 p.m.

Gone with the Wind is the #1 Movie of all time-if you have not seen it you are missing out on a great film.

David O Selznick was a nut with his micro managing, but lucked out with that pic- too bad he sold his rights to it for $200K before it turned into such a hit.....

Don Bauder Jan. 8, 2011 @ 10:41 p.m.

I never saw the movie but for some reason I know that the last line, uttered by Clark Gable, was something like, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 8, 2011 @ 10:26 p.m.

i respect the divergent opinions and expertise of all u's peeps who comment in Don's blogs...and consider his blogs and commentors a high water mark of congruency here on the READER

OK...where's my money u's guys....hahahahahahaha

u should see GWTW Don...it's good for a film made in '39...and that Technicolor will burn ur eyes out ;-D

Don Bauder Jan. 8, 2011 @ 10:44 p.m.

I only see a couple of movies a year. But we have a DVD of Lawrence of Arabia that we watch. Magnificent film. I have loved some comedies like Airplane, Best in Show, and Waiting for Guffman. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 8, 2011 @ 10:27 p.m.

and Pooh...ur DEFINITELY one of a kind ;-D

Don Bauder Jan. 8, 2011 @ 10:46 p.m.

My wife has put up with me for almost 50 years, so I must have some desirable qualities. She never has told me what they are, though. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 8, 2011 @ 10:47 p.m.

One more comedy I loved: Borat. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 10, 2011 @ 1:38 p.m.

my hubby has put up with me for nearly 30 years and he says it's my yoga flexibility quotient...wait a minute...er..um..can i say that...hahahahaha...;-D

nah i'm kiddin'....it's love..........

i'm a pure romantic so Lawrence is a hit with me 2

and Best in Show....as a dog breeder for nearly 15 years i LOVED that crazy a$$ed film...hahahahaha

Don Bauder Jan. 10, 2011 @ 2:54 p.m.

We had five dogs as we were raising our children and as many as six cats at one time. Going to a dog show is a hoot. You go to watch the people, not the dogs. There is a famous story about a newspaper photographer sent to cover a dog show. He came back with only pictures of the people -- none of dogs. Some of those pictures were libelous. I understand cat fanciers are crazier than dog lovers, but I have never been to a cat show. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 11, 2011 @ 12:18 p.m.

50 years and 30 years of marriage-that is very impressive.

Myself, I am good for about 6 months. Yes, I know, that is sad. What can I say :)

Don Bauder Jan. 11, 2011 @ 7:43 p.m.

One reason may be that you keep getting involved with JW's sisters. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 10, 2011 @ 1:44 p.m.

speaking of statistics...my White Poms and Parti Colors should have had statistically speaking no chance of ever becoming champions in an Orange Pomeranian world...but 5 of them did ;-D

yippee!!!

Don Bauder Jan. 10, 2011 @ 3:21 p.m.

I thought all Poms were white. Never heard of Orange Poms. That's how ignorant I am. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 11, 2011 @ 12:37 p.m.

oh Don....i couldn't love u more if u were intelligent ;-D

Don Bauder Jan. 11, 2011 @ 7:41 p.m.

It's too late for me to become intelligent. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel Jan. 11, 2011 @ 12:39 p.m.

50 years and 30 years of marriage-that is very impressive.

u need a dawglovin' woman puppy...then u'll do fine homey!!!

Don Bauder Jan. 11, 2011 @ 7:45 p.m.

A dog loving woman is faithful as a bird dog, I take it. Best, Don Bauder