• Scam Diego alerts

Early reports today (April 7) indicate Japan has been hit by another earthquake, although it is not as severe as the monumental one. Today's measures 7.4 on the Richter scale; the tsunami is generating waves 2 meters tall, compared with 10 meters in the March 11 quake. This morning's quake hit 61 miles from Sendai area, which was devastated March 11. There is no word yet on possible further damage to nuclear plants. The U.S. stock market has dropped in reaction, although details are only dribbling in.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

BlueSouthPark April 7, 2011 @ 9:31 a.m.

Thanks for the info, Don. After reading this, I turned on CNN, expecting information, but instead the interviewer of Donald Trump is asking him what "the Trump doctrine" is. Save us all.

Don Bauder April 7, 2011 @ 7:47 p.m.

I watched that Trump interview. It is astounding how far this country has sunk. And he now has 17% of the Republican presidential polling numbers, according to at least one poll. Best, Don Bauder

valueinvestingisdead April 7, 2011 @ 1:31 p.m.

An earthquake has hit Brandes too...ex-wife can't live on $500,000 a month...wants $750,000 a month plus $140 million more in addition to the RSF home, Del Mar Beach house, Manhattan Penthouse, and condos in Utah. Amazing all this greediness when people are starving in this economy.

Don Bauder April 7, 2011 @ 7:48 p.m.

Yes, Brandes's wife number two wants a big payoff. That's one disadvantage of being in the Forbes 400. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 April 8, 2011 @ 5:54 p.m.

If you have that much $$$ and do not get a pre-nup then you deserve to lose everything.

Trump has had pre-nups with ALL of his wives.

The biggest cases in family law are welathy men marrying gold diggers with no pre-nup (Paul McCartney, Seward Johnson, Anna Nicole Smith, Brandes. etc)

Don Bauder April 8, 2011 @ 9:12 p.m.

SurfPup touts Pre-Nup. Best, Don Bauder

valueinvestingisdead April 8, 2011 @ 12:54 p.m.

Don, Can you believe the greed level?? If this doesn't paint a picture of what it is like to work there, nothing does.

Best

Don Bauder April 8, 2011 @ 12:58 p.m.

Brandes's current (third) wife likes to spend, too. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 8, 2011 @ 9:14 p.m.

As they rise higher and higher, greed levels no longer surprise or shock me. Best, Don Bauder

valueinvestingisdead April 8, 2011 @ 2:29 p.m.

California is loaded with gold-diggers, too. I grew up a Midwesterner like you and girls would ask what I like to do and about my family. In California, they ask "What do you drive?" and "How much money do you make?" Just all the wrong values. Read the article in the Union Tribune..as a condition of marriage, his 2nd wife stated, "He had to fix his nose, improve his wardrobe and get ambitious to work longer hours." He was making $181,000 in 1986 and she basically made it seem like he was a loser. Why marry her? No love there. Peace.

Don Bauder April 8, 2011 @ 9:19 p.m.

When I was in high school or college in the midwest, my father, a stockbroker, bought me 100,000 shares of Oklahoma Oil Co. Trouble is, the stock cost less than a penny a share. When I met young ladies at the university, I would drop the fact that I owned 100,000 shares of Oklahoma Oil Co. None was impressed. Of course, the women have always found other reasons not to be impressed by me. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh April 9, 2011 @ 8:15 p.m.

Don, tell us more! What happened to Oklahoma Oil? Did the share price ever get up to ten cents? Was that the start to your family fortune? This is a whole facet to the Don Bauder story we've never seen. Your commentators are waiting for the "rest of the story."

Don Bauder April 10, 2011 @ 7:22 a.m.

Actually, when the price of oil soared 3 and 4 decades ago, and there was all the emphasis on domestic production, Oklahoma Oil tried to get going again. My mother and I turned in all our shares. I assume my brother turned in his, too. Alas, the company quickly plunged into BK (7) and we all wound up with a big fat zero. Incidentally, it wasn't terribly important to us, because in the process of turning in our shares, I talked with one of the executives, and concluded that the company's chances of success were exceedingly slim, despite his glowing optimism. We didn't even follow what happened until several years later, when I checked it out. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 April 10, 2011 @ 9:31 a.m.

Oklahoma Oil Co.

OK, the ONLY reason I am going to comment on this is because one of the BEST TV comedies of ALL time was the "Beverly Hill Billies".

on the BHB they NEVER sated in the show where the BHB came from, where their cabin was when they found oil on their property, and the audience was left to guess. It was left out on purpose by the shows ceater, Paul Henning, who wanted everyone to think it could have been any mid-western location, but they DID name the oil company that bought the rights to the Clampett's oil, it was the "OK Oil Company"!!!!!

I had no idea there was actually a real company with that name.

Don Bauder April 10, 2011 @ 6:11 p.m.

They aren't necessarily the same company. There could be an OK Oil Co. and an Oklahoma Oil Co. Remember, this stock was purchased half a century before every state was given a two-letter designation. Best, Don Bauder

valueinvestingisdead April 10, 2011 @ 10:10 p.m.

Don, Don't feel bad. Brandes bought Countrywide, WaMu, Fannie Mae, McClatchey, Lehman, etc...etc.....even the so-called "brilliant" investors eventually go bust in this rigged Stock Market.

Don Bauder April 11, 2011 @ 1:48 p.m.

The market is rigged by the Federal Reserve, as well as other central banks around the world. Everybody looks brilliant when stocks are floating on liquidity. But the really brilliant ones are those who know when to get out. And they won't really "know" when to get out. They will guess. Best, Don Bauder

valueinvestingisdead April 10, 2011 @ 10:10 p.m.

Don, Only thing is, you don't get to celebrate $10 million halloween parties every year!!!

Don Bauder April 11, 2011 @ 1:51 p.m.

It sounds like you don't get invited to those Beautiful People soirees. Best, Don Bauder

valueinvestingisdead April 14, 2011 @ 8:41 a.m.

Don, You are missing out on the whole Brandes saga. The Union Tribune had a FRONT PAGE story on their insane divorce. Do you realize that as of 12/31/10, $26 million has been spent on attorney fees? Sad thing is that all of that money came from investors who are getting sacked with Mercedes fees for lackluster performance. You need an updated story. You were the ONLY one that brought them in the media until now. Please run an update!

Thanks COLT