Ian Anderson 1:30 p.m., Nov. 29
Last -Minute Legislature Deal Boosts Chances of Massive Chargers Subsidy
The Union-Tribune reports this morning (Oct. 9) that the state's budget agreement yesterday may clear the way for the Chargers getting a massive subsidy for a downtown stadium from the insolvent City of San Diego. Previously, the deal would have required the team and City jumping through a number of hoops to get a $2.9 million cap on downtown redevelopment lifted. The deal was "quietly advanced over the last week by Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, R-San Diego with the blessing of Mayor Jerry Sanders and the knowledge of the team," says the U-T. The Chargers and City leaders have been talking about building a stadium on a small site near Petco Park that would cost at least $800 million; the City's subsidy could be $500 million to $800 million, depending on the stadium's configuration. The Chargers have been talking about a stadium that seats 62,000. That wouldn't be enough to get a Super Bowl, but the argument about attracting the event would no doubt be trotted out.
According to the U-T, Councilman Carl DeMaio criticized the "11th hour, unilateral action by the state." Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger still has to sign the bill permitting the deal, but that's expected. Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, D-San Diego, opposes the deal and told the U-T, "At a time when we are cutting from so many of our safety et programs, things that are taking away from any general fund revenues are very tough for me to justify."
More like this:
- Poll: San Diegans don't want to subsidize stadium — Sept. 1, 2014
- Will Chargers leave for LA? Which newspaper d'ya read? — March 17, 2013
- Lynch Says Stadium Won't Cost City a Dime — Sept. 17, 2012
- Los Angeles to Fast-Track Downtown Stadium — Jan. 20, 2011
- Sportugal — June 2, 2010