Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., April 25
Lori Pfeiler, long-time Escondido mayor who did not attempt to get another term this year, has been assessed a $200 penalty by the state's Fair Political Practices Commission. She failed to report transportation on a private plane and lodging allegedly from Palomar Pomerado Health Foundation in November of last year. Pfeiler has long pushed pro sports for Escondido, so there is some skepticism about this assessment. She was given a $375 seat in a box at the Chargers-Denver Broncos game and a $50 ride from the airport to the hotel. After the game, she dined with Chargers chief executive Dean Spanos and his wife. Spanos paid $95 for her meal. Before the FPPC action, one critic said the gifts came from the Chargers and should have been reported as such. She said the gifts came from Palomar Pomerado.
More like this:
- Sac State Still Trying to Collect $9 Million from Alex Spanos — Oct. 13, 2011
- Attractive and Suffering — Feb. 13, 2010
- If We Didn't Advertise We'd Go Broke Treating the Poor — June 24, 2009
- More Funny Business — June 1, 2000
- Alex Spanos and the Stadium Sham — Dec. 16, 1999