• Scam Diego alerts

Stock of biotech Neurocrine Biosciences is up 37.36% this morning in an overall market slaughter. U.S. stock are down more than 2% this morning following big selloffs in Europe and Asia. Neurocrine said a mid-stage study of its drug to treat endometriosis, a gynecological condition, met main and secondary goals, according to Reuters. "In endometriosis, pieces of the uterine lining grow outside the womb, sometimes sticking to other organs," says Reuters. "The condition has no cure and can cause infertility." At one point, Neurocrine stock was up more than 50%.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Anon92107 May 25, 2010 @ 7:52 a.m.

Re: "U.S. stock are down more than 2% this morning following big selloffs in Europe and Asia."

Or, another way to put it, the stock market giveth, and the stock market taketh away, depending on how the greediest can make money the fastest. Now that executives can give themselves a $Billion a year, there is no limit.

Thus the republican party elite are destroying American Capitalist Democracy as fast as they can so their aristocracy can takeover everything, whatever is left after chaos dies down that is.

CuddleFish May 25, 2010 @ 8:01 a.m.

LOL Don, you might want to change the typo in your title. ;) My brain cells boggled.

@1: Um, there's a "Progressive Democrat" in office. The candidate of change.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

Don Bauder May 25, 2010 @ 8:29 a.m.

Response to post #1: At the beginning of the year, I said the Dow would end the year at 12,000 but be worth 8,000. I did that because it's hard to bet against stocks when the central bank is giving away money to the banks' trading desks, to gamble with in any way they like. I'll stick with my forecast for now but it looks like the market, at least now, is waking up to the state of the world. I thought that would come in 2011. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 25, 2010 @ 8:30 a.m.

Response to post #2: What typo in my title? Where? Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 May 25, 2010 @ 1:13 p.m.

Response to post #3:

This is a whole new stock market, and your guess may be better than most, but the GOP betrayed America during the Bush administration worse than the South during the Civil War and worse than the Tories during the Revolution.

Interestingly the South proved they have risen again by controlling the GOP during the last three Presidential elections, and the return of the Tories is led by Rupert Murdoch with his control of WSJ, Fox, etc.

So America today is in Neocon transition that may take us straight to hell on earth as long as the GOP is allowed to continue to betray America with SCOTUS impunity, using the power of hate to control the minds of republican voters.

I just hope your pessimism is the least of our problems.

SurfPuppy619 May 25, 2010 @ 1:19 p.m.

Hey, didn't everyone hear, Big Ben Bernanke said the recession OVER- in fact he said it ended 6 months ago!

I predict the stock market may remain at or around the current rate for as long as 10 or 15 years-maybe longer.

And things will get worse before they get better (our structural deficits-local state federal- are getting worse instead of improving, the the federal gov's deficit spending is so far off the hook it is a miracle we have not collapsed into total chaos and anarchy already).

Don Bauder May 25, 2010 @ 1:35 p.m.

Response to post #5: The Neocons hurt the Republican party. The Tea Partiers will hurt it even more. At least that's the way it looks now. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 25, 2010 @ 1:41 p.m.

Response to post #6: I believe the U.S. -- and major industrial markets abroad -- are in a secular bear market. The Dow hit 10,000 in 1999 and was below it for a good part of today before bouncing back on low volume. That's 11 years of a lousy market. However, stocks went up more than 15% a year for the 18 years leading up to 2000, when they crashed. That 1982-2000 period represented a secular bull market. Give us another 6 to 8 years and we will have another secular bull. But in the meantime, I would look for the economy to grow only 2-3% and stocks to have a tough time beating that, even with central banks giving away money to the banks. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh May 25, 2010 @ 8:24 p.m.

Don, you did spot the typo in the title. See, those of us who are astute readers saw it right away. We wondered if it was intentional. Then your reaction in post #4 had us thinking that it was intentional. Guess not. But was it Freudian?

Don Bauder May 25, 2010 @ 9:25 p.m.

Response to post #9: It was neither intentional nor a Freudian slip. It was a slip of the finger of someone who turns 74 in three days, and checks his blog copy too quickly. (I spend far more time on my weekly columns, and still make mistakes that are caught by my alert editor, Heather Goodwillie.) Two people told me about "Neurocrime" before I woke up. Best, Don Bauder