• Scam Diego alerts

Assets of SD Acquisitions LLC, owner of the SanDiego.com domain name, will go up for public auction at 5 p.m. Friday, May 7 at 610 West Ash Street, Suite 1405, according to DN Journal, a publication covering the domain industry. The magazine says that Mark Burgess, founder of the company, explains that two notes secured by company assets have been foreclosed on. Burgess says that an independent assessment by Borrell Associates puts the value of SanDiego.com as high as $8 million. According to DN Journal, Burgess said the site was bringing in $700,000 a year in ad sales and search revenues. Burgess hopes someone will buy the site and build a successful website. Some talented writers including Welton Jones have appeared regularly on the SanDiego.com site.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 May 4, 2010 @ 12:41 p.m.

I am putting in a bid...I want to be the owner of that domain name!

MURPHYJUNK May 4, 2010 @ 1:53 p.m.

took me 5 trys to get them to stop spamming my email address

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 2:56 p.m.

Response to post #1: It looks like they are angling to get the bidding started at a high level. Do you have deep pockets? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 3:01 p.m.

Response to post #2: OK, let's have a pool: which domain name goes for the highest price: surfpuppy.com or sandiego.com? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 3:02 p.m.

Response to post #3: I don't consider it spam. It's good stuff. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 May 4, 2010 @ 3:07 p.m.

Would you consider $200 "deep pockets"????

SurfPuppy619 May 4, 2010 @ 3:08 p.m.

To go with this one?

LOL!!! I would love to buy that domain!

And let's face it, it is more in my price range too.

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 3:24 p.m.

Response to post #7: For $200, you should be able to buy a used Texas Instruments hand calculator. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 3:25 p.m.

Response to post #8: Why don't you sue that domain for expropriating your handle? Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya May 4, 2010 @ 3:34 p.m.

Pup, I'll pitch in 10 clams to the cause. It's a start anyway... Re # 10: I was thinking the same thing, what with him being a legal beagle.

SomeoneElse May 4, 2010 @ 6:27 p.m.

<p>"SanDiego.com: Where locals and visitors go"

Someone explain why this is the first time I've ever heard of this website.

David Dodd May 4, 2010 @ 6:38 p.m.

I'd never heard of it either. Then I found out that ex-Reader writer Josh Board writes for them now, so I checked it out. I find the claim to "$700,000 a year in ad sales and search revenues" nothing more than a wild boast. The website seems disorganized and uninteresting. America's finest city may also lay claim to America's worst website.

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 10:04 p.m.

Response to post #11: So in essence are you purchasing a lawsuit? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 10:05 p.m.

Response to post #12: It was up and running before several of the other better known ones. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 4, 2010 @ 10:06 p.m.

Response to post #13: So I assume we won't be seeing you at the auction. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 May 4, 2010 @ 10:24 p.m.

what with him being a legal beagle.

By Duhbya

Now that was FUNNY!

Beagles are good dogs though, Snoopy (of Charlie Brown fame) is a beagle :)

David Dodd May 4, 2010 @ 11:07 p.m.

No sir, Mr. Bauder. I love San Diego but I wouldn't pay an Indian-head penny for the domain name. Even if the site generated half of the revenue they claim to generate, there is no assurance that such revenue will continue no matter what they turn the site into. If a website has good and interesting content, it can have any name and make money. The name of a domain isn't nearly as important as it once was, because internet people are getting smarter at finding information, and Google has made it easier to poke around.

I mean, two years ago, how much was the domain name "thedailybeast" worth? Probably nothing more than the ten dollars it took to register the name. Since October of 2008, that site has ramped up to three million unique visitors per month. It's the content. I look forward to reading a follow-up blog or story on what dollar amount the domain name sandiego-dot-com brings, but my guess is that eight million is an ambitious, if not completely outrageous estimate.

Duhbya May 5, 2010 @ 5:52 a.m.

Re #14: Apparently so. I could use a new wardrobe.

Don Bauder May 5, 2010 @ 6:56 a.m.

Response to post #17: Yes, Beagles are great dogs if you can keep them from wandering off. (At least, that's their reputation.) Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 5, 2010 @ 6:58 a.m.

Response to post #18: It does have some talented writers, though, such as Welton Jones. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 5, 2010 @ 7:01 a.m.

Response to post #14: Suppose you lose, though. Will you go around in a barrel? Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya May 5, 2010 @ 8:32 a.m.

Re #22: Ha! Halfway there, already. Chest-wise, that is. If I did go with the full barrel, I'd be looking for some sponsors, ala the old sandwich boards.

Don Bauder May 5, 2010 @ 12:28 p.m.

Response to post #23: Start at $5 million and see what happens. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 5, 2010 @ 12:30 p.m.

Response to post #24: Well, we already have a couple of domain names for sale, such as sandiegojoe.com. There's one advertiser for a sandwich board. Best, Don Bauder

halcyonandon May 10, 2010 @ 12:57 p.m.

Heard it went for 3 million, but I didn't hear who the buyer was.

Joe Poutous May 10, 2010 @ 1:12 p.m.

RE: # 26

Don, I think I 'll keep the site. Maybe I'll have to quit my job and open up a coffee shop!

• Joe

Don Bauder May 10, 2010 @ 7:25 p.m.

Response to post #27: I don't know the results and don't have the time to check it right now. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 10, 2010 @ 7:26 p.m.

Response to post #28: I haven't heard a word. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 10, 2010 @ 7:28 p.m.

Response to post #29: Why stop at one coffee shop? Start a chain and get rich. Best, Don Bauder

halcyonandon May 12, 2010 @ 9:50 a.m.

...according to Burgess, this is what happened Friday: "Jim Fitzpatrick who just bought San Diego Magazine back from CurtCo and Randy Frisch, former CFO of the San Diego Union-Tribune, both showed up, but Robert DeuPree, the investor holding the notes used to foreclose, met them in the lobby and told them they had to have a check ready to fill out and that the bidding started at $3 million, which is about $50,000 less than the combined notes he held. Neither had the ready check, so both bidders left. Deupree then presented the foreclosure notices to James, the manager of the LLC (that held SanDiego.com), and took possession of the assets and asked us all to leave."

Don Bauder May 12, 2010 @ 10:58 a.m.

Response to post #33: Deupree may have made a mistake. Best, Don Bauder