• Scam Diego alerts

Judge Marilyn Huff ruled today (Friday, May 30) that the suit by mercenary firm Blackwater Worldwide against the City can be heard in federal court. The city attorney's office argued that it was a minuscule local matter and there was no irreparable harm to Blackwater, and hence should be heard in state court. The argument was rejected. The suit is pushed by Marine General and corporate welfare promoter Michael Neil. The City decided Blackwater's permits to have an indoor shooting range almost at the border need more scrutiny and should go to the planning commission and council. The suit denounces the City's action as political, then takes gratuitous political shots at City Attorney Mike Aguirre. It is typical San Diego. Also, the hearing was to be Monday, but appeared to be quietly and abruptly shifted to Friday, probably because anti-Blackwater protesters planned to show up. "It looks awfully suspicious," says Raymond Lutz, head of one of the protest groups. About 30 protesters did show up. The next hearing is June 3.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Don Bauder May 31, 2008 @ 11:35 a.m.

Response to post #1: Judge Marilyn Huff is very conservative. Prosecutors in financial thievery cases all hate to get her as judge, because she is so easy on the malefactors. I wouldn't be surprised if she is overly sympathetic to the federal government. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 31, 2008 @ 1:59 p.m.

Response to post #3: The difficult is finding balanced judges in San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

JohnnyVegas June 4, 2008 @ 1:17 p.m.

Huff just gave BW a TRO against the City to allow BW to open their facility tommorrow.

She should not have taken this case-she had no jurisdiction.

Fred Williams June 4, 2008 @ 3 p.m.

Huff to San Diego:

"F*** you!"

Was there ever any doubt?

JohnnyVegas May 31, 2008 @ 8:12 a.m.

I have a very important issue before Judge Huff right now against a US government agency. The issue is a slam dunk in my favor. Now having said that, in this particular case the federal court here in San Diego has literally ruled on every single issue in favor of the government (USA), no matter how baseless or lacking in merit and no matter how strong my arguments have been. If Judge Huff rules in USA's favor on this issue then there is no hope for my case at this levell-and I will be looking forward to the 9th Cicrcuit (based on the past I do expect this to happen).

I won't even try to win in District Court. She seems like a very honest, straight shooting, no nonsense judge. I have never appeared before her in the past. We'll see how she rules. I will know her ruling very soon, and I WILLL POST HERE HOW SHE RULED.

JohnnyVegas May 31, 2008 @ 11:52 a.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is overly sympathetic to the federal government.

Oh, please don't say that-it will jinx me.

I have had no less than 4 different judges involved with this case (Huff is judge #5) and it has been the same story with every single one-rubber stamp anything the Attorney General/USA wants, and deny anything I want- no matter what the circumstances.

I am hopeful Huff does the right thing-if not then it is time for the court of appeals.

I am not going to let bias judges blow my case up.

Fred Williams June 2, 2008 @ 1:44 p.m.

The judiciary over the last twenty years has completely lost its credibility as a check to legislative or executive abuse.

As the judiciary became politicized, it has abandoned the patina of indepence achieved by Marbury v. Madison. It has become the hatchet-man of the legislature and executive, with such travesties as mandatory minimums and this falacious notion of judicial restraint.

One symptom of this is candidates for judge groveling for the Police/DA endorsement of their campaign.

When I see "Choice of the Police" on a sign for a potential judge, I cringe.

This is equal to, "If elected judge, this guy will always be partial to the prosecution, and willing to trample the constitutional rights of the accused".

This explains why innocent people cop a plea rather than face the certainty that they'll be found guilty REGARDLESS of the evidence. The judges owe favors to the police and DA unions who elect them. They know who butters their bread.

This infiltration of the judiciary by professional politicians has corrupted this country and destroyed one of the pillars of the constitution...and been applauded by most citizens, misled by rants about "activist judges".

Without "activist judges" civil rights would still be a distant dream, and women would still be jabbing wire hangers up their wombs. Judges who rule in favor of the common citizen and the long run interest of our nation are becoming hard to find.

Here in San Diego, again and again, our judges both elected and appointed have proven themselves corrupt and self-interested. They rarely deviate from what they are told to do by their wealthy and powerful backers. This is why we're saddled with corrupt deals from previous councils that few think can be unraveled using the legal system.

This is a tragedy for our country, and I'm ashamed it has happened in my life time. Prisons continue to be filled with non-violent low-level drug offenders while well-known public criminals like John Moores smirks his way around town.

If the judiciary in San Diego had a shred of self-respect left, they'd resign in mass to allow new blood onto the bench.

But instead, they do what they are told. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Huff rules in favor of the mercenaries. Mike Neal is too well-connected with the glaringly corrupt insiders running this village for the case to go any other way.

Huff will do as she's told.

She'll say, "F*** you, San Diego!"

Don Bauder June 2, 2008 @ 2:34 p.m.

Response to post #5: The fact that Huff said she would not decide the case until election day speaks for itself. That move protected Sanders. Best, Don Bauder