• Scam Diego alerts

The University of California/San Diego is tied for 35th in this year's newly released ranking of universities by the magazine U.S. News. The others at 35th are Georgia Tech, Lehigh, University of Rochester, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The magazine says UCSD's in-state costs are $8,911 and out of state $28,932. The fall 2007 acceptance rate at UCSD was 43 percent; this compares with Georgia Tech's 63 percent, Lehigh's 32, Rochester's 41 and UW-Madison's 56. The top six institutions are Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford and California Institute of Technology. The universities are ranked on a number of qualities, including the range of academic offerings and faculty research.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Don Bauder Aug. 26, 2008 @ 6:42 a.m.

Response to post #8: Is your law school where Boesky learned about cheating at arbitrage? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 22, 2008 @ 9:13 p.m.

Response to post #1: I didn't get that far. I can check. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2008 @ 2:32 p.m.

Response to post #1: I checked. San Diego State is a Tier 4 school. Some other Tier 4 schools are Northern Arizona, Central Michigan, Cleveland State, New Mexico State and South Dakota State. SDSU in-state tuition is $3,428. Out of state is $13,498. Enrollment last year was 36,559. Fall 2007 acceptance rate was 44 percent. Best, Don Bauder

JohnnyVegas Aug. 23, 2008 @ 5:46 p.m.

Thanks Don.

Beleive it or not, in-state tuition for undergrad at SDSU in the early 80's was $150 a semester.

Graduate school at SDSU in the early 90's was $300 a semester.

Shows how out of control school tuition is.

I think a very large part of that increase is the funding that used to go to schools is now going to the pay and pensions of state employees.

Same with the gas tax. These dedicated taxes (or supposedly dedicated) are being raided every year to cover the general fund shortfalls. Caused in no small part by the scam pay scales and pensions.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2008 @ 9:38 p.m.

Response to post #5: Remember, the SDSU football team doesn't pay its way -- by a long shot. So the money to subsidize football comes out of academic programs. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Aug. 25, 2008 @ 12:19 p.m.

Be very skeptical of those ratings in newsmagazines. They all do them annually, and US News & World Report has been making a big deal out of them for years. But the results vary widely from year to year, and there is no good reason for that.

I don't claim to know if UCSD is 35th or 350th in the US. The criteria the mags use are generally simplistic, and often are not applied with care.

For the edification of JohnnyVegas, about 30 years ago, one of the mags rated the MBA program at SDSU one of the top ten in the nation. That was at a time when SDSU had granted a small number of those degrees. I can't remember if the mag was USN&WR or if it was Newsweek. But it was a one-shot deal. I'm unaware that it ever got such an accolade again.

My skepticism of these ratings is heightened by looking at the ratings of high schools that they also generate. Some of them are so off-the-mark as to be utterly laughable. Again, the criteria are simplistic and often misapplied.

But having those ratings on the front cover of the magazine does much to sell newsstand copies. Everyone with kids heading to college wants to know how the universities rate, and eat this stuff up.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2008 @ 1 p.m.

Response to post #6: I agree that these university and college ratings are simplistic and misleading. Disappointing, too. When I was at the University of Wisconsin/Madison in the 1950s, the university was consistently in the top ten of various ratings. So was the University of Michigan. Both have fallen out -- Wisconsin all the way to a tie for 35th. So I don't have bragging rights, even though polls of this sort have always been distorted. Best, Don Bauder

JohnnyVegas Aug. 25, 2008 @ 11:56 p.m.

University of MI Law School used to be rated 3rd in the nation behind Yale and Harvard-now it is usually in a three way tie at 6,7,8 with Cal Berkeley/Boalt Law and U of VA.

Sam Zell graduated from U of MI. LS.

Ivan Boeasky, who still lives in La Jolla, graduated from my LS, Detroit College of Law (Now MSU COL). I still get a kick out of telling people Boesky graduated from my LS.