Image

one of those days when relieved of rain not pouring down like p*ss outta a boot drew me out and about for the day

i thought about the Dog Show in Del Mar but decided against it

instead i decided to go to Michael's

i haven't been to one in years...good thing ..i'm an impulse buyer sometimes and all that silk greenery had me panting for Spring...lot of stuff was on sale too...50% off...

put a lock on my credit card will ya!!!

YELLOW!!!

i want yellowwwwwwwwwwwww

lots and lots of yellow

i'm in a quandary lately about real plants and flowers...the watering thing...i think about how we need to save water...i also think about all the growers in the valley that are pulling out 15 year old Almond trees because they can't irrigate them...it's frankly heartbreaking

so maybe artificial is the KINDER GENTLER way to go

when i think about water i think about DUNE and those suit everyone had to wear to recycle their bodily fluids...i know that water saving wise won't afford one more drop to the Almond trees...there's just to many of us

i remember when, California, a few years ago wanted to get extra water from Oregon...of course Oregonians were irate...they just don't like Californian in general...mostly for good reason...so they wouldn't have sold California water for GOLD

i came home with a bundle of lovely purchases...the clerk suggested i simple scatter them in among the real ones i have growing

er..um...WHAT REAL ONES I HAVE GROWING??

I STILL HAVEN'T DECIDED ABOUT WATERING

More like this:

Comments

Robert Johnston March 1, 2010 @ 12:19 p.m.

Ah, yes...the Good Old days, where if you were from SoCali, you lived in fear of being met by an Oregon State Police armed posse if you wanted to venture further north than Ashland (or Bannon on Route 101 north), and being forced to turn back at gunpoint!

Then again, most of my fellow webfeet regarded SoCalis as nothing more than real estate speculators and developers, out to turn Portland, Salem, and/or Eugene into another version of Los Angeles. And no, we were not in the least happy when the airheads in SacTown wanted Columbia River water to slake the very drought that Los Angelenos exacerbated (much as what is going on today in SD County) by overloading the natural resources available!

However, that all became a moot point when in the Winter of 78, SoCal got all the water it wanted--and more--via Mother Nature giving the state a good, cold soaking! Most Oregonians still have no sympathy for SoCalis, but in this year of a heavy-duty El Nino...the shoe is going to be on the other foot, I suspect! --LPR

nan shartel March 1, 2010 @ 1:53 p.m.

i had a secret weapon LPR...a husband born on Tillamook and a willingness not to be ur typical California loudmouth

and those other Californians WERE looking for a good deal in real estate...and those penny wise Oregonians sold them their homes and small business at a little less then Californian prices and moved East right down the Columbia River to early retirement

but it surely p*ssed off the old neighbors who suddenly found their property taxes had gone up exponentially

having a truck was a BIG help....one that wasn't too clean...a smilin' cattle dog...and a deer rifle mounted above the seat in the back window clinched it

we were deemed acceptable

actually i adored Oregon...4 seasons...and felt humbled to be able to live there after the smog and chaos in So Cal...stayed for 16 years...only came back here for my husband Bobby

and he has webfeet too!!!

nan shartel March 1, 2010 @ 1:57 p.m.

just think LPR...if i move back to Oregon i won't have to buy artificial flowers...smile

SDaniels March 1, 2010 @ 4:50 p.m.

So true, nan! So LPR you originate from our fine Northwest?

We spent Xmas in Portland and WA state, and LOVE Portland. Seattle, too, but only spent one night there, and it seemed muy expensive. I liked the feeling I had in Portland, hanging with my favorite college-aged, hip cousin--everyone should have one of these in Portland. :)

Anyway, we were thinking we would fit in better up there. Whaddya think, nan? Rain, flowers, everything rich and lush and green, and potentially our pockets, if there are jobs enough in "the man's" field of work...

and people with a social conscience, who read and think before speaking--THAT is heaven to me right there!

SDaniels March 1, 2010 @ 4:53 p.m.

"a smilin' cattle dog..."

You really know how to paint a portrait and set a scene, nan. I feel like I've got to write in and acknowledge this so many times that maybe I should just shut up and enjoy it! (As long as you continue to know how much I appreciate your images, that is, or I'll have to remind you again) :)

antigeekess March 2, 2010 @ 6:30 p.m.

Re #4: Ugh! Are you nuts, Daniels? Do you have any idea how sick you'd be of RAIN, RAIN, RAIN? I know I sure am.

When I landed in San Diego a couple weeks ago, the shuttle driver asked me why I moved away. My answer: "Stupidity."

That gave him a fine chuckle.

nan shartel March 4, 2010 @ 4:10 a.m.

AntiG...i was thinkin' the same thing about rain RAIN RAIN!!!...IN THE VALLEY AND COASTAL AREAS

i definitely would think twice about movin' to Seattle...the rain there is omnipresent most of the year

the Valley of Oregon is that bad tho (she say's this with the fingers of both hands crossed behind her back)

AntiG...u live in a rain forest area of No Cal don't u???

and SDaniels i can see ya there in Portland...colleges slap dab in the middle of town....takin' ur kitty inside to eat at a restaurant in the Pearl...learning to Kite Board on the Columbia

the wages r less in general...

Bobby and i r going home in late September for a visit and Autumn along the Columbia...maybe u could come up then too

more books r written in Oregon then any other state of the Union

nan shartel March 4, 2010 @ 4:12 a.m.

and thx for the compliment SDaniels...my adjectives appreciate it

CuddleFish March 4, 2010 @ 4:32 a.m.

Hello nan, bless your heart, nice to hear from you, as always. :)

antigeekess March 4, 2010 @ 8:43 a.m.

nan, I actually live in the north Bay Area now, 54 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge (MapQuest). It's typically rainy and foggy right now, as I write this. Yuck. This kind of weather doesn't do my body OR my disposition any good.

Previously, I lived in a small cabin up in Humboldt County (near the Eel River, on the road to Shelter Cove) from May '05 - Feb '06.

And before that, San Diego, where I shoulda NEVER left!

I've actually been receiving tourist junk in the mail from Oregon for the past several weeks. Thinking of a drive up there in the coming months.

nan shartel March 7, 2010 @ 3:29 p.m.

Oregon is simply amazing antiG...the coast route on 101 is worth a see...i lived for 3 years in San Francisco proper(the Mission District)near the Mission Dolores

my student 1st husband(CSSF named at the time)bought a little MGTF and we drove often North to Sausilito and Stinson Beach...a gorgeous ride..top down ...wind in ur hair..the sad part of living in that area is that summer is always so foggy...hand in front of ur face foggy

we drove into SF on the first of Sept after dark...and only the sparkling lites of the electric buses sparking overhead kept us on the street and not on the sidewalk

for a naive SD girl it was enchanting...i'm sure my HB didn't feel the same...hahahahahaha

if u do drive North to Oregon let me know...there is an authors hotel along the coast that is well worth a weekend stay...it's simply charming

PistolPete March 7, 2010 @ 7:49 p.m.

nan, seeing as SoCal won't be too inhabitable after The Big One hits, I think you should just water away and damn the consequences. The greatest thing about water is that it NEVER goes away. It will always return as.....wait for it...almost there....WATER!

If your neighbors narc on you to the water nazis, let me know and I'll have a little chat with them about why it's better for their health if they mind their own business. :-D

nan shartel March 10, 2010 @ 3:08 p.m.

er um...thx Ms Grant...i love SanFran and visiting in October is the best weather i think...that is true of the Oregon Coast as well

can anyone tell me what's up with a comment removable here for number 15..i didn't even read it yet...shouldn't i be the one to ask for it's removal???

and Ms Grant...perhaps it's antiG that ur asking back to SD...in that case i'd like to be asked to tea (high tea would be nice)

hahahahahahahahhaah

MsGrant March 10, 2010 @ 7:22 p.m.

Yes, nan, I was referring to anti coming home, but Tea on Chatsworth would be lovely.

Need you ask? It was one of Pete's, I'm sure. Removed before it blistered your eyeballs and offended your senses.

nan shartel March 10, 2010 @ 8:03 p.m.

thx for the answer to my dilemma Ms Grant...but that quixotic fellow never offended me... and "woe is me" now I've lost my fickle fiance for good methinks

ah well...easy come easy go

~~now i'll have to go down to K Mart and take that bridal gown out of layaway~~sigh~*~

nan shartel March 10, 2010 @ 9:13 p.m.

one fish two fish red fish cuddlefish

u is so much fun Seussfish!!!

antigeekess March 10, 2010 @ 10:05 p.m.

Thanks, Grantie. I'm always looking for digs on trips to SD. I might take you up on it for a visit.

I'd love to come back permanently, but there's that little problem of a J-O-B, dontcha know. Kind of waiting to see what happens in June, at the moment. Job status could change and give me a greater chance of transfer.

fingers crossed

MsGrant March 10, 2010 @ 10:39 p.m.

My friends love my house for their SD visits. Digs are awesome, and I would love to host my on-line friend! Fingers crossed.

CuddleFish March 10, 2010 @ 10:42 p.m.

AG, fingers crossed that you get to come back here. :)

nan shartel March 11, 2010 @ 1:49 p.m.

i just love it when a plan comes together...especially on my blog!!!

best of luck with that JOB thingie antiG...San Diego needs more wily intelligent women like u

i'll bring the very special pastries for High Tea...

Ms Grant...do you have a cat that likes jelly donuts???

i had a 40lb Siamese as a kid who would go out in the street and stop the bakery truck to ask meowingly for one

OMG...i am OLD...hahahahahahahahahaha