Matt Potter 1:30 p.m., Jan. 26
Encinitas filmmaker killed in shooting
John C. Upton was not a household name. His films contained no special effects or big name stars. The documentary filmmaker was best known for his crusade to save the lives of countless Romanian orphans from the deplorable conditions they had been forced to live under during the reign of late communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu.
Upton, 56, was shot to death yesterday after what police are calling a "dispute between two adults males."
61-year-old Encinitas resident Michael Vilkin is being held by police on suspicion of murder in connection with the shooting.
According to ABC 10 News, the shooting took place in the 2900 block of Lone Jack Road shortly after 9 a.m. Thursday, Upton, who took a bullet to the head, died on the scene.
Fox 5's Raoul Martinez reports the incident may have stemmed from an ongoing argument between the two men involving hedges on Vilkin's property.
More like this:
- One in the gut. One in the head. — Jan. 21, 2015
- Some trees and a man died for this — June 6, 2014
- Children of man shot by Encinitas neighbor file lawsuit — April 8, 2014
- Family of man shot by Encinitas neighbor seek millions in damages — Sept. 30, 2013
- The guy was bullying me all the time — July 10, 2013