Don Bauder 9:30 p.m., July 30
Disney Puts on the Chihuahua to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Having been on the receiving end of many a wagging finger, nothing delights me more than when I catch a purported citadel of progressive orthodoxy like the Walt Disney Company with both hands in the politically incorrect cookie jar.
The gringos at Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment are capitalizing on Cinco de Mayo, a holiday aimed at celebrating Mexican heritage and pride, to promote the upcoming straight-to-video release of Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3: Viva La Fiesta!.
Why not cash in on Passover with a Disney collector's edition Seder plate or celebrate Secretary's Day by passing out Pretty Woman condoms?
Speedy Gonzales and the Frito Bandido can't get arrested in Hollywood, and this stereotypical stray signs a three-picture deal with Disney. I'm not sure what is more offensive: using a dog as an emblem of Mexican pride or offering up a torpid, direct-to-DVD sequel as a way of showing respect.
Be sure to remember this pandering gesture come September 18 when the Blu-ray Combo Pack of Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3: Viva La Fiesta! hits store shelves.
More like this:
- Interview: A Sweet Spoonful of Legendary Disney Composer Richard M. Sherman — Aug. 28, 2012
- El Zonkey Show: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo Like (or at Least with) a Mexican — April 30, 2012
- Disney Rakes in the Hanukkah Gelt — Dec. 21, 2011
- The Really Real Reason We Celebrate Cinco de Mayo — May 4, 2011
- April 28 Crossword Contenders — May 4, 2011