Julie Stalmer 4:30 p.m., July 4
Reason #41144 to hate Comic-Con: Thanks to San Diego's annual celebration of everything that's wrong with contemporary cinema, nary a new release hits town this weekend.
Two disappointing indies -- Natural Selection at The Ken and Beasts of the Southern Wild at Landmark's Hillcrest and La Jolla Village -- open this week. Br'er Lickona and his brood were kind enough to cover the latest installment of Ice Age for me, so what's a Comic-Con snubber to do?
In their infinite wisdom, the counter-programming geniuses at Landmark Cinemas have come up with an antidote. This Friday and Saturday at midnight the Ken Cinema will screen a 35mm print of Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window.
Comic-Con devotees won't know what to make of a film that stars actors made of flesh and blood -- not light saber-sporting midgets in garbage cans -- performing on a man-made set, not in front of a green screen.
For those unable to resist the urge, pick up a bottle of Shinola to whiten your hair, a pair of wire rimmed glasses and a hatbox, and come dressed as Raymond Burr!
PS: I never thought I would be excited over a 35mm print of a film I've seen projected at least 30 times. 5 years ago everything was shown in 35mm. Now we're lucky to get a revival on BluRay, let alone a 35mm print. Please support this type of behavior by showing up in force this weekend.
More like this:
- This week all roads lead to the Ken Cinema — July 17, 2013
- San Diego High School holds annual Film Festival at Landmark's Ken Cinema — May 29, 2013
- Landmark Blows Out Ken's 100 Birthday Candles With a Yawn — Aug. 16, 2012
- Midnight Madness Returns In Style to The Ken — June 12, 2012
- SD Film Critics to Host 10th Anniversary 35mm Screening of Ghost World — July 13, 2011