Jay Allen Sanford 7 p.m., March 29
Toward a Regional Cinema
I think it's pretty clear that casting should have begun on a film based on Marisol Valles Garcia the day she took the job of Police Chief of Guadalupe.
Guadalupe! You know, like the Virgin! The one that Catholic Mexicans look to for protection! And here is this young woman, the new the Protector of Guadalupe, a town rent by Mexico's insanely violent drug war. Faces stitched to soccer balls! Dismembered bodies crammed into fans. Castrated corpses hung from highway overpasses! This slight, pretty woman wades into the thick of it! This stuff writes itself - unbelievable gore, all of it real - corruption, tension, horror, violence, civilization on the bloody brink. And a film that took it on could actually, you know, matter!
Until then, I will wait for Miss Bala to show up in town.
More like this:
- Origins, Part II: more from James Cameron's Piranha Part 2: The Spawning — Sept. 30, 2013
- Interview with Bless Me, Ultima stars Luke Ganalon and Castulo Guerra — Feb. 22, 2013
- Interview with Samsara producer Mark Magidson and director Ron Fricke — Sept. 7, 2012
- Review: Project X — March 2, 2012
- Review: Tomorrow, When the War Began — Feb. 28, 2012