Don Bauder 9:30 p.m., July 25
Short Takes: Bellflower
A pair of novice car and end-of-the-world enthusiasts bone up for Armageddon by spending their days and nights in search of army surplus stores and auto graveyards that stock parts to build do-it-yourself flame-throwing devices.
Other than the fact it took producer/director/ co-editor/star Evan Glodell’s eight years to complete his audacious, $17k debut feature, the film’s perfect blend of sex, action, nerd humor, and social commentary qualify it as a descendant of Roger Corman’s New World Pictures school of filmmaking.
Godell deserves extra credit for the film’s stunning dirty lens, soft-around-the-edges, tilt-shift cinematography.
After all, he made the camera. A must-see! With: Jessie Wiseman, Tyler Dawson, and Rebekah Brandes.
Reader Rating: Four Stars
More like this:
- Scott Marks, Annotated: Invasion of the Star Creatures — May 22, 2014
- Lighting by Cundey — April 23, 2014
- Meet skateboarder Ryan Sheckler at premiere screening of The Motivation on June 13 — June 13, 2013
- Short Takes: Seeking a Friend for the End of the World — June 22, 2012
- Scott Marks Hosts WriteOutLoud Screenings of Two Roger Corman/Edgar Allan Poe Classics — April 25, 2012