The Canyoneers 1 p.m., Jan. 28
Thor Minimalist Movie Poster: Who Did It Better?
I'm a big fan of minimalist movie posters. This one, Ibrahim Youssef's Kill Bill Vol. 2 is flat-out amazing, don't you think? Yeah, you need to have seen the film to really get the reference, but if you hadn't seen the film, wouldn't those five footsteps make you curious?
Two different artists recently took a crack at giving a similar treatment to the poster for Thor, a superhero movie about the Norse god of thunder and his badass hammer, Mjolnir First up, Dave Williams:
And next, Olly Moss, whose effort actually went to the cast and crew of the film (but not, for some reason, to movie theaters everywhere):
What do you think? As a straight-up visual experience, I prefer the Moss, but I think something about the Williams captures a bit more of the movie's cheerfully heroic vibe. Thor is a rambunctious kid who fights with his family, learns a valuable lesson, and meets a great girl to boot. (Reader review here.) Good times. At any rate, they're both better than the real thing:
UPDATE: There has been some (understandable) question as to whether or not the image in the Williams poster resembles a hammer. It does at least resemble Thor's hammer, as depicted in both comic book and film:
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Part 7: Famous Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen (Exclusive) — Dec. 13, 2011
- Part 6: Famous Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen (Exclusive) — Dec. 8, 2011
- Part 4: Famous Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen (Exclusive) — Nov. 30, 2011
- Monkey Awesome — May 27, 2011