I have been remiss in getting my blogging up to date. The weather has been so nice, I did not want to be inside. And now my evenings are spent watching the Olympics. Those moguls skiers are going to need good orthopedists. I can almost hear their knees cracking! And Apolo is still a fresh faced young cutey.

Two friends and I went to Wolffy's for lunch on Saturday. It was quite busy. Wolffy was wandering around greeting people making sure all was well. This is a good way to keep customers coming back. 2 of us had the meatball sandwich which is great. She had fries and I had the homemade chips, which are perfectly made, not greasy and just plain good. My other friend had a salad which was generous and she enjoyed it very much. The location is great for a stop on the way to the ballpark. They have food to go, too. It's at the corner of Market & 9th. Wolffy advised us to try the deep dish Chicago pizza next time.

It seems that our City leaders just do not want to deal with this issue of homelessness. There is a plan in place but, it is not being followed. It seems there should not only be a location for a permanent shelter, but it should be under construction. Recent conversations with visitors to our City have been enlightening. They certainly have noticed these people sleeping on the sidewalks and in doorways, and along the boardwalk. A couple from Germany expressed shock at the number of people and the fact that human waste was visible and odiferous. Many people said it was probably the weather that drew so many homeless to San Diego. There were also questions about why they are allowed to panhandle at the cruise ship areas. I asked several European visitors if they had the same problems and all replied virtually the same; it is not tolerated! That left me wondering what they do with the homeless, across the pond. I'll need to do some research. And, what do other US cities do? I know that New York cleaned up Times Square. What about other cities? Research again.

I would encourange ALL residents who are concerned about the homeless situation to e-mail their City Council Representative AND Mayor Sanders. Let them know that this longstanding problem must be handled. If you have any suggestions, please include them. For those in the downtown, East Village, Embarcadero, etc., your City Councilman is Kevin Faulconer: Kevinfaulconer@sandiego.gov

Names, e-mails, addresses can be found on the City of San Diego website: sandiego.gov

I love a good rainstorm. I get a kick out of the local weathercasters. They get so excited about having something to talk about! Storm Watch. I also wonder about the drivers who needed to be rescued. Often they drive around the warning signs because they apparently can see how deep the water is and their car can surely make it. OOPS, miscalculation. Does the City bill them for the rescue?

I still have questions about the last Friday of the month bicycle extravaganza that goes on. I know they gather in Balboa Park and from there I do not know how they proceed. I do know they pound on cars as they go past, they make illegal turns, they travel down one-way streets, going the wrong way and this is all tolerated by our police force. In fact, they direct traffic to give room to the bicyclists. WHY? If people want to have a disorganized walk around town, in the streets, ignoring stoplights, they need a parade permit. Right? So, can somebody tell me why this spectacle is allowed? Mayor Sanders office told me they've had a lot of complaints.

Hope everyone had the Valentine's Day they wanted.

So long

Comments

SDaniels Feb. 15, 2010 @ 4:27 a.m.

AuntieSD: You are referring in your last paragraph to Critical Mass--if you aren't aware of the name of this monthly event. Pounding on cars (or yelling) is not really as common as you seem to suggest--there are admittedly a few hooligans here and there who drink before they join the ride and get belligerent, but most riders are respectful to drivers, and chide the hooliganish few. Real Critical Massers do not want a bad name. The whole idea is to stop traffic here and there just as long as it takes for riders pass on the route taken for that particular ride, and believe it or not, this is done in as orderly and safe a fashion as possible. There are always riders who take on the job of traffic directors, and are experienced at it, having organized many rides. They take safety seriously, as well as the philosophy that cyclists deserve safer roads and separate pathways for bikes, and that more people should bike to work and help clear congested, polluted roads. Unfortunately and admittedly, this philosophy does not communicate well to drivers who just want the road clear for themselves-now! When I was of able body, I participated in one ride, to support the vision of a city of more accessible, more numerous, and longer bike pathways. It was an exhilarating experience, whizzing down a car-free Washington Street, and feeling solidarity with other riders--however, I decided that it was a little too dangerous, due to again, the few who try to ruin the ride for everyone with belligerent behavior (including irate drivers), and due to what I see as a need for better, more positive communication of the Critical Mass philosophy, as well as more sophisticated organizaation of rides, in tune with law enforcement if possible.

But such is the nature of protest--a healthy activity we need more of in this country. I don't mean to start up controversy on this well-worn topic on your thread, AuntieSD--just wanted to clear up a few points :)

SDaniels Feb. 15, 2010 @ 4:33 a.m.

PS: Your wish is to have a downtown that is less noisy in residential zones, and more aesthetically pleasing. If we were to encourage better city planning, your vision might include more dedicated bike paths, and perhaps some cobble-stoned squares and walkways for just pedestrians--all closed to auto traffic. Wouldn't that be great? Works for many cities worldwide, and makes sense for a city of year-round tourism--why not San Diego?

SDaniels Feb. 15, 2010 @ 4:40 a.m.

Oops, some more points to address here:

"That left me wondering what they do with the homeless, across the pond. I'll need to do some research."

Well, for one: Many European cities simply don't have homeless people--why? Because these societies have found a way to feed, shelter, employ, and care for all. The sacrifice? Higher taxes. Lower wages. Doctors make much less money in a society of socialized medicine, for example. However, everyone is cared for.

"And, what do other US cities do? I know that New York cleaned up Times Square. What about other cities? Research again."

I moved to NYC after Giuliani "cleaned up" Times Square and supposedly made NYC safer. I did my own "man on the street" interviews as a way to get to know the city. Cab drivers present a great demographic to interview: They were of mixed opinion, but mainly agreed that people of color (cab drivers originating largely from so-called third world countries) feel less safe, and less respected in a more heavily policed city...

PistolPete Feb. 15, 2010 @ 10:10 a.m.

I'd like to try Wolffy's. See if really IS Chicago-style. I'll hold the catsup too. ;-D

MsGrant Feb. 15, 2010 @ 1:14 p.m.

Unfortunately the assumption is that most large organized rides are Critical Mass. I will be participating in a training ride next week in Solana Beach consisting of 180 participants. It is for a 33, 50 or 100 mile ride (depending on which you sign up for) called the Gran Fondo that will be going through South Bay. The event will consist of 2500 riders. It is a benefit ride for skin cancer. All participation fees go toward skin cancer research. But many people think that the training rides are critical mass supporters - I have been cut off, intentionally driven off the road and yelled at while riding my bike. Not a single person I know that is an avid cyclist (and I know a lot) have any agenda, nor are they part of Critical Mass. They just do not support the mentality of us against them. Sure, they want to see safer conditions for cyclists, but for the most part they are just going for a ride on their bike. And you are right, SD, that the few bad apples have spoiled it for those that enjoy cycling for the sheer fun of it. Now many motorists that encounter a large group of riders become hostile, and vise-versa. It never was like this until it became organized under the name "Critical Mass".

auntsandiegospeaks Feb. 16, 2010 @ 7:17 a.m.

Hi SDaniels, I have been caught in a traffic stop by SDPD, allowing Critical Mass bikers through to turn right from Park, at the McDonalds. We (I was a passenger in a friend's car) were held there for quite some time while riders went past, many of them pounding the car as they passed. They were also cutting through McDonalds. When we finally were allowed to go, by police direction, we had to drive through McDonalds & I noticed there were many cars "stuck" in that parking lot. The bikers continued on, while we turned on 10th. It was a delay of at least 20 minutes. The following month, I heard a bunch of people whooping & hollering. I went out and there was a large group of bicyclists going south on 9th, directed to do so by SDPD on Broadway. 9th is one-way, going north. A car turned from F onto 9th and had to sit there because the street was crowded by bikers. There are more stories like this and I think the City needs to stop it.

I do agree that the downtown area is not conducive to bycycling & I see them riding on the sidewalks all the time. I have been trying to get people out of their cars for many years. It is a California thing! Whatever the purpose of Critical Mass, they have succeeded in making people dislike bycyclists more than ever.

MsGrant, I participated in many walks for charity when I was able. Bycycling is the same concept. The difference is, cars can & do run bicyclists off the road, whereas they won't drive into a group of people walking. Usually, the charity ride participants have a special Tshirt or a bib. That 'should' keep drivers out of the way.

PistilPete is from Chicago???? You'll have to let me know what you think of Wolffys.

Thanks for reading

nan shartel Feb. 16, 2010 @ 1:49 p.m.

maybe San Diego could be more like Portland Oregon AuntieSD...bike and mass transit r the major forms of transportation there...it's good for the air quality...good for the riders and have u ever seen the city from a bike???

it's a visual feast

nan shartel Feb. 16, 2010 @ 1:56 p.m.

and AuntieSD...San Diego as well as California is broke...make's it hard to accomplish a lot of any of ur often excellent ideas

Namaste

auntsandiegospeaks Feb. 18, 2010 @ 8:23 a.m.

nan, It is not feasible (especially since our City & State are broke) to change downtown to make it safe for bicyclists OR pedestrians. I've been to Portland & to many other cities that have very good publc transportation & access. Currently, MTS is changing bus schedules & eliminating several routes, due to a budget deficit. So, now people will be back in their cars, resulting in increased smog, traffic delays & Headaches.

I am hoping that everyone who reads this will send e-mails to their City Council Rep. Mine is: Kevinfaulconer@sandiego.gov Send a copy to our Mayor: JerrySanders@sandiego.gov

Thanks for reading

auntsandiegospeaks Feb. 18, 2010 @ 8:35 a.m.

The last paragraph of my above comment fails to give any reason to write to Faulconer or Sanders! I want a permanent homeless shelter, an end to the "Critical Mass" mess, stress the importance of using public transportation, and better communication from our elected officials.
You might say I'm a dreamer.

nan shartel Feb. 18, 2010 @ 10:08 a.m.

lack of public money can put a nightmare element into any dream AuntieSD...ur vigorous support helps tho