Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., April 25
Bob on the Throne, meet Jack in the Box
Local fast-food exec vows to remodel North Park restaurant without "traveling down the Sunroad and dropping off a sack of cash at the foot of Filner's latest pet project."
A photo sent from Mr. Box's office to Mr. Filner's office and later obtained by SD on the QT via outright theft.
"Bob Filner thinks he can put a stop to a restaurant remodel approved by his own Planning Department," scoffs Jack I.T. Box, CEO of the Jack in the Box fast-food restaurant chain. "But there's less merit in his case than there is milk in a McDonald's milkshake. He knows he's got no real standing; that's why he's trying to deprive me of my drive-thru via legal drive-by."
Box is referring to Filner's argument that, since the remodel is so extensive that it essentially involves rebuilding the restaurant, the new structure should be required to meet current zoning codes. And current zoning codes prohibit drive-thru windows. (The original restaurant had gone in before the prohibition, and so was allowed to keep the drive-thru.)
"It's true that I'm replacing several exterior walls," continues Box. But I'm not changing the footprint of the restaurant. So let me ask you a question, Bob. If I have an axe, and the handle breaks, and I replace the handle, and then the head breaks, and I replace the head, do I have a new axe or the same axe with new parts? You ever heard that? It's called Theseus's paradox; it's in Plutarch. Look it up while you're trying to get over losing a court battle with a guy who wears a pointy yellow hat."
More like this:
- Jacked by the Box — April 2, 2015
- Burger chain gang heads to court — Jan. 20, 2015
- Filner issues a Stop-Use Order against North Park Jack in the Box. Todd Gloria rescinds. — Aug. 30, 2013
- City Attorney and Lawyers from Jack in the Box say Mayor Filner's objections to North Park restaurant rebuild a ploy to divert attention from harassment scandal — Aug. 15, 2013
- Lawsuit filed against City of San Diego for allowing fast-food chain Jack in the Box to remodel North Park restaurant — Aug. 12, 2013