Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., Feb. 13
Filner responds to latest accusation
Repentant Mayor pauses intensive counseling session to issue statement: "I'm a Democrat. I was only doing what Democrats have always done to Marilyn Monroe."
"Where do you think I learned the Filner headlock?"
Responding to charges from Marilyn Monroe impersonator Emily Gilbert that he grabbed her derriere, Mayor Filner said, "All my life, I have striven to emulate the ideals and character of that great Democrat, John F. Kennedy. So when a Marilyn approached me, I asked myself, 'What would JFK do?' The answer was clear. Of course, I'm not JFK, so I didn't actually do that. But then, she wasn't really Marilyn, either. So I just made a token gesture - a symbolic squeeze. Frankly, I think I was pretty restrained on this one."
More like this:
- Jan Goldsmith's "Hair": "Bob Filner sexually harassed me." — July 26, 2013
- NYC Mayoral Candidate Anthony Weiner: "Bob Filner is a model mayor." — July 15, 2013
- Mayor's former Transparency Czar repeats murky call for his resignation — July 12, 2013
- Filner on Fletcher: "There's no such thing as independent." — May 9, 2013
- Marilyn Monroe -- Lives Her Life Like a Body in a Box — Aug. 25, 2009