The Canyoneers 3 p.m., Sept. 2
Media watch: North County Times shifts to mostly-just-real-estate format
New owner Manchester: "We believe in giving people what they want."
Business section permitted to remain, plus surf report, "for the weirdos in Leucadia."
"In today's media-saturated environment, we know that consumers have an unprecedented number of choices when it comes to bathroom reading material," said incoming Editor-in-Chief Sam Toady. "Which is why we're now printing the North County Times on cottony-soft Plushprint(TM) paper. But that's another story. Given that wide range of choices, we realized that it was important to stop wasting readers' time with stuff they don't care about, stuff like politics, national and world news, and health reports not related to weight loss. We did our homework, and we found that what people in North County care about is real estate - how much their own is worth, how it compares to homes in nearby neighborhoods, and what's out there in terms of upgrades. So that's what we're giving them. And to mark the shift, we're renaming the paper the North County Homebuyer's Journal. Enjoy!"
More like this:
- The Incredible Shrinking Newspaper — May 29, 2013
- Manchester releases statement on plan to repurpose U-T's Mission Valley headquarters — March 18, 2013
- U-T San Diego introduces SLU-T — Oct. 1, 2012
- Manchester Buys San Diego CityBeat — Dec. 23, 2011
- Yes, Manchester IS Looking at U-T — Nov. 7, 2011