Dave Rice 8:30 a.m., Aug. 30
Exeunt Turner, stage left
An excerpt from The Tragedy of Turner, now playing in San Diego
Turner lifts the helmet of QB Philip Rivers and considers it.
Alas, poor Philip! I coached him, Horatio: a fellow of
infinite grins, of most excellent passes: he hath led me
to victory a thousand times; and now, how abhorred
in my imagination it is! My headset sparks at it. Here flung
those bombs that I called for I know not how oft. Where
be your wins now? Your touchdowns? Your runs? Your
many interceptions, that were wont to set Qualcomm on
a roar? Not one now, to toot your own winning? Quite
ball-dropping? Now get you to the Spanos boardroom, and tell
him, let him hire Belichek, San Diego will never win;
make him smile at that. Prithee, Horatio, tell me one thing.
What's that, ex-coach?
Dost thou think Montana looked o' this fashion late-career?
And stank so? pah! Puts down the helmet.
E'en so, ex-coach.
To what poor rankings we may descend, Horatio! Why may not fantasy football trace the champion’s rings of Montana, till it find them for sale on eBay?
More like this:
- Lane Kiffin's new job — Nov. 28, 2012
- Seven (Sun)days of Darkness? — Sept. 24, 2012
- Gates of Heaven? — May 18, 2012
- Chargers Coach Norv Turner: "I'm The Only Trickster God This Team Needs, Thank You Very Much." — Sept. 19, 2011
- Good Press Going to Philip Rivers' Head? — Sept. 13, 2011