Jeff Smith noon, March 8
Fletcher Goes On the Offensive
Mayoral Candidate Blasts Opponents for Serving "Their Particular Special Interests" Through "Back-Door Deals"
"My opponents [Councilman Carl DeMaio and District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis] are local operators, part of the administration that queered the city's finances in the first place," said Fletcher, addressing a crowd of supporters from atop a decommissioned Sherman tank that he had maneuvered into the auditorium at Roger Hedgecock Elementary in Rolando. "What this city needs is a real straight-shooter, and if there was one thing I learned in Iraq, it was how to shoot straight!"
When this reporter reminded Fletcher that DeMaio had actually campaigned for his council seat on the platform of financial reform for San Diego's fiscal fudgepot, the candidate lowered the tank's gun into firing position and politely reminded those in attendance that this was not a scheduled debate.
More like this:
- View from the Campaign Trail: Carl "The Cleaner" DeMaio — March 20, 2012
- View from the Campaign Trail: Nathan "G.I." Fletcher — March 15, 2012
- Poll Shows DeMaio In The Lead For Mayor — Sept. 15, 2011
- DeMaio Accuses Fletcher of Lifting Ideas — Aug. 22, 2011
- DeMaio's Dinero — July 12, 2011