• Almost Factual News alerts

Embattled Sheriff Looking Forward to "Peace and Quiet and the Company of Fellow American Citizens."

"Finally, a place where justice is not subject to lawyerly meddling."

Just one day after the United States Justice Department issued a scathing 22-page critique of "Sheriff Joe" Arpaio's allegedly draconian practices with regard to the pursuit and handling of illegal immigrants (and other Latinos) in Maricopa County, Arizona, the 79-year-old icon announced his intention to retire from law enforcement and take up residence in the city of Escondido. "At least there," he said at a news conference this morning, "they have some interest in enforcing the law."

Arpaio's comment was taken as referring to the placement of driver's license checkpoints on Escondido thoroughfares, a practice that has been in place since 2004. Critics have long argued that the checkpoints are merely gotcha stations for the undocumented, a criticism that has led Escondido Mayor Sid Amen to reply, "Yes. And?"

However, recent events have placed the future of those checkpoints in doubt, which may explain a recent tweet emanating from Mayor Amen's Twitter feed. It read simply "@SheriffJoe: call me."

• Almost Factual News alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 18, 2011 @ 9:31 a.m.

LOO...is Joe really 79 or is that schtickt?

Obviousman Dec. 18, 2011 @ 2:58 p.m.

Thanks, but Sheriff Joe ALREADY enjoys the company of fellow American citizens. If you recall, Arizonans keep re-electing him. It's the FEDERAL weenies inside the Beltway who are making his life miserable.

MildProtectionistRhetoric Dec. 18, 2011 @ 6:25 p.m.

Sherriff Joe Arpaio, much like Senator McCain and Governor Jan Brewer of Arizona, is at the top of his "Game". Escondido should look forward to at least 40 more years of public service from America's Finest. :)

Kwaayesnama Dec. 18, 2011 @ 6:56 p.m.

Oh!! Please!!! take him with our blessing – I’m sure you have millions of dollars you can spend on settling lawsuits for civil rights violations. But please make sure you wear sun block to protect yourselves from being stopped for papers please.

lafinguy Dec. 18, 2011 @ 9:24 p.m.

His twitter handle is @RealSherriffJoe so he probably never got the tweet from the mayor. And, you guys can have him. Mike in Phoenix

gringa Dec. 19, 2011 @ 2:38 p.m.

Arizona, this is ONE immigrant we do not want. You created this monstrosity now you keep it and deal with the consequences.

Andy Boyd Dec. 19, 2011 @ 3:55 p.m.

Bah haha! Great comments in here. But yeah, that fool can stay in AZ.

Missionaccomplished Jan. 13, 2012 @ 10:36 a.m.

LOL Yeah, and you can both watch Faux News and listen to KOGO!

therealstorey Dec. 19, 2011 @ 7:15 p.m.

Coming from a native who has never had a confrontation with the law- Take him. I cant stand the man and will celebrate in his honor tonight knowing that he is leaving my home state.. hopefully it is for good. Let California get a taste of his Nazi ways. The only reason he kept being voted in here is because Arizona is full of Mormons and they love his practices- it resembles their practices.

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 21, 2011 @ 9:43 p.m.

One thing is for sure, Sheriff Joe is a very polarizing public person, you hate him or love him and there is not much in between

Walter Mencken Jan. 12, 2012 @ 3:55 p.m.

I think it's working out just fine, Mindy! Though I do wonder how members of your book club feel about Escondido Mayor Sid Amen. Thanks for reading!

Walter Mencken Jan. 13, 2012 @ 8:06 a.m.

Dear Mindy, please be assured that the goal of the Reader in general and Almost Factual News in particular is to shed light, not to spread darkness. We are always after the truth - but in the case of this particular column (and only this particular column), that is not quite the same thing as being after the facts.

tomjohnston Jan. 13, 2012 @ 9:11 a.m.

Personally, I find it very hard to believe that anyone would find that anything written in your column confusing. Although perhaps, there are individuals who don't pay much attention to actual current events and have missed the "Almost Factual News" title of your blog. Just my opinion. Opinions vary.

tomjohnston Jan. 13, 2012 @ 2:56 p.m.

I'm a barbarian. I like to eat meat. All kinds of meat, also fowl and fish. I grew up hunting and fishing. I doubt you want someone like me anywhere near anything of yours and I'm sure as such you hate my guts, despite the fact that the only thing you know about me is that I like to eat meat, fish and fowl. BTW, I thought you were never coming back to the Reader because you hated the site. And yet, here you are, commenting and posting blogs...again. To each there own. Just my opinion. Opinions vary.

tomjohnston Jan. 13, 2012 @ 10:05 p.m.

"You don't need to tell me about what a rotten person you are. I've known it for some time." Really?? Since we've never met and you know nothing about me, how is that? Ya know,I have never understood people who make character judgements, good or bad, based solely on anonymous comment postings. And I can't fathom anyone being so insecure as to let ANYTHING said to them, good or bad, by a stranger on a web posting have any affect on them whatsoever. To me that would be like having a drunk Chargers fan at the Murph call you ugly and letting yourself even pay attention to it. I think the fact that you chose to inject your "I think you should read my latest blog entry" comment into a comment I was clearly directing to the author of this particular story speaks volumes. If I counted correctly, there are now 8 others who commented on this story and yet apparently you seem to feel it was made just for you?? I'm sorry, but not so much. Finally, let me say that you are correct that it's none of my business what you do. However, as I have already pointed out, you chose to stick your nose into a comment clearly not directed to you AND you continue to post on this site. That makes you fair game, just like me or anyone else who posts here. If you don't like it, then next time don't interject yourself into a conversation that has nothing to do with you. If you do, well like I said, that makes you fair game. As I said earlier though, to each their own. Just my opinion. Opinions vary Have a GLORIOUS weekend. I know I will. PS, my family and my animals seem to like me just fine, so I think I'm ok in that dept. LOL!!!

Missionaccomplished Jan. 13, 2012 @ 10:31 a.m.

So he wants to retire from chassing "messicans" in AZ to go live among them in Escondildo? LOL