Arty décor and playful international grazing plates and seasonal entrées make eating fun. Cooking and service are adept. Eat early on weeknights to avoid waits and dine at this neighborhood favorite. Vegetarian tasting menus available each Wednesday (vegan the last Wednesday of the month). Moderate.
Hours: Dinner daily, 5–11pm (bar 4pm–midnight or later); Saturday–Sunday brunch, 10am–2pm
Prices: Grazes and side dishes $5–$9; soups and salads $6–$16; entrées $13–$25; desserts $6–$8.
Cuisine & Beverages: Free-range internation cuisine emphasizing local farm products and sustainable proteins, with many tapas, few entrées. Long wine list, often steep but lots by the glass. Numerous craft beers, cocktails made from scratch.
Pick hits: Elote (grilled corn with huitlacoche and cotija cheese); jerk chicken; stuffed squash blossoms; piquillos rellenos. Possible good bets: Lyonnaise salad, smoked tomato bisque, grass-fed rib-eye or burger with parmesan fries.
Need to know: Vegetarian dinners Wednesdays ($25), plus many vegetarian/vegan choices daily. Suckling pig group dinner for 8–10 (order two days ahead), $38 per person. Dinner with Six Strangers (for one or two) at communal table, once a month (next is October 20; call for details), $48 per person including everything. Hip music (country, blues, etc.), but room gets loud when full, usually around 8:00 p.m.
- Sunday: During NFL games: $2 off menu drinks. Half-price bar snacks.
- Monday: 5-6pm: $2 off menu drinks. Half-price bar snacks.
- Tuesday: 5-6pm: $2 off menu drinks. Half-price bar snacks.
- Wednesday: 5-6pm: $2 off menu drinks. Half-price bar snacks.
- Thursday: 5-6pm: $2 off menu drinks. Half-price bar snacks.
- Friday: 5-6pm: $2 off menu drinks. Half-price bar snacks.
|Sunday||11 a.m. to 1 a.m.|
|Monday||4 p.m. to midnight|
|Tuesday||4 p.m. to midnight|
|Wednesday||4 p.m. to midnight|
|Thursday||4 p.m. to midnight|
|Friday||4 p.m. to midnight|
|Saturday||11 a.m. to 1 a.m.|
- "Variations on a theme" · July 9, 2014
- "Alchemy's Patron Saint" · Sept. 25, 2013
- "Old familiar ways" · Sept. 18, 2013
- The Heart & Trotter: Meet your meat at Alchemy · July 29, 2013
- "Party 'til your belly aches at Alchemy's 4th Anniversary Bash" · March 13, 2013
- "Veggies and art at Alchemy in South Park" · Dec. 27, 2012
- "A Different Kind of Health Food at Alchemy" · June 10, 2012
- "Muted Magic" · Oct. 4, 2011
- "Alchemy's New Street Food Menu" · July 14, 2011
- What the Chef Eats · Feb. 3, 2010
- "Free-Range Grazing" · Sept. 16, 2009