San Diego Museum of Art
Saturday, August 8, 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, August 20, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, August 27, 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 12, 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, September 17, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, September 18, 10:00 a.m.
Tuesday, October 6, 7:00 p.m.
ExhibitsLalla Essaydi: Photographs, 2005-13
Features ten large-scale photographs from Moroccan-born, New York–based photographer Lalla Essaydi. The internationally acclaimed artist is known for her work that explores the issues surrounding the role of women in Arab culture and their representations in the Western European artistic tradition.
Runs March 28 through August 4.
Coney Island, Visions of an American Dreamland 1861–2008
The first major museum exhibition to explore the lure of this legendary playground through the lens of art. Composed of more than 100 objects, both celebrated icons of American art and rarely seen works, this exhibition includes paintings, drawings, prints, posters, and assorted artifacts.
From its beginnings as a watering hole for the wealthy to its transformation into an entertainment mecca for the masses, Coney Island has been viewed as a microcosm of the American experience by an extraordinary array of artists, including John Henry Twachtman, William Merritt Chase, Reginald Marsh, Walker Evans, and Red Grooms. In addition to the work of these artists, sound recordings and film clips will bring to life the excitement of Coney Island, which occupies not only a strip of sand in Brooklyn but also a singular place in the American imagination.
Runs July 17 through September 11.
The Art of Music
Combining works from the museum’s permanent collection with loans from major museums and private collections, The Art of Music offers visitors the rare opportunity to see a variety of works exploring the intersection of music and art by iconic artists, including Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalí, Arnold Böcklin, Rufino Tamayo, Chuck Close, William Hogarth, Henri Matisse, Utagawa Hiroshige, Christian Marclay, Oskar Finschinger, and more.
The exhibition is the largest in the museum’s recent history, with more than 200 paintings, sculptures, and photographs, alongside contemporary video, installation and sound art, and musical instruments from around the world.
Runs September 26 through January 5, 2016.
|Sunday||noon to 5 p.m.|
|Tuesday||10 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Thursday||10 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Friday||10 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Saturday||10 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
- "Stunning but remote physicality in Essaydi’s women" · July 8, 2015
- "March of time" · Nov. 19, 2014
- "Fevered, emotionally reportorial realism" · May 14, 2014
- "Street jam" · Dec. 18, 2013
- "Dresser, Mitchell, Melford & Dessen: live" · Aug. 31, 2013
- "Art of the Contrabass" · Aug. 26, 2013
- "Mark Dresser: six bass hit!" · Aug. 21, 2013
- "New Mark Dresser Quartet: August 15 @ SD Museum of Art" · Aug. 14, 2013
- "White Quartet live at the Museum of Art" · June 28, 2013
- "Piranesi’s hoard of haunted spaces" · May 15, 2013
- "Art of East Asia Finally Sees the Light" · Feb. 8, 2013
- "36 Hours of Art" · July 27, 2012
- "Culture & Cocktails" · June 3, 2012
- "Buddhas in Caves" · April 18, 2012
- Art Review: "Racy Women from Regal Times' · April 13, 2011