Have you ever had to call 911?

Asked by Jane Belanger

July 27, 2011

Josh Marin

From El Cajon (Musician)

Yes. This girl was getting beat up on the street by a dude in El Cajon. It was right on Main Street. I was just driving past. I called and told them where it was, then went on my way. They took it from there.

Kristy Pham

From Escondido (Student)

No, actually. My parents had to call a long, long time ago when their car got stolen. But I wasn’t the one who did it. I’ve never had to call 911 myself.

Brad Burgess

From Mission Beach (Runs a Poolside Bar & Grill)

Yes. I used to lifeguard at a kids’ camp. It wasn’t me that pulled him out, but I was the one who called 911. It was like a 4H camp back on the East Coast in Connecticut. The kid ended up being fine; it was just procedure that we had to call. I had to call 911 another time, too. In high school I was working at a Barnes & Noble during the winter season and this girl started having a seizure. I didn’t know what to do, so I called 911.

Jessica Pierson

From Clairemont (Student)

I think I was, like, six at the time. I was with my cousin, Tracy. We were watching the movie The Santa Clause — the one with Tim Allen — and he goes, “Quick, call 911!” I ran into the other room and called 911. I told them that the TV told me to call. They asked me if my parents were home. My grandmother was home, and she had to apologize.

Comments

BevLockhart July 28, 2011 @ 7:53 a.m.

I hate having to call 911, but I will if I have to. Seems the cops are always around when you don't need them, but never show up when you do! I was walking home one night because the buses had quit running. I got on the 7 at University and Villa and got off at Winona and had to walk across to El Cajon Blvd. It was REALLY late, and this black man got off the bus when I did and told me I needed him to walk me home. Well, I was raped by a black doctor in Basic Training in the Army, and I was attacked by the Nob Hill Rapist in San Francisco in 1982. He brutally sodomized the other 12 women he attacked. I beat the F*** outta him! The stupid cops saw him on Pine St when they drove by, but instead of backing up to grab him, they went down one block, up the next block, then back up Pine; by then he was gone. He went on to rape seven more women after he attacked me. I am the only woman he attacked that he did not rape. My point is, I am scared of black men. Some black people get mad at me when I say that's why I'm scared of them, but the bottom line is, I have never been attacked by a white guy.

SurfPuppy619 July 28, 2011 @ 6:36 p.m.

I had to call 911 for the first time in my life on May 9, 2011. Two of my dogs got into a little tussle and during the process of seperating the two rascals my senior Pit Bull- who has NO front teeth -bit my ring finger with her back teeth-freak accident. But it was a pretty bad laceration and she also broke my finger tip bone, 911 was mandatory, I could not drive to the hopsital ER.

Duhbya July 29, 2011 @ 1:28 p.m.

One would be hard-pressed to describe my life as "sheltered". I have called 911 but once, and that was to report a drunk driver going the wrong way on I-5. Is it possible that you've led an exposed life?

SurfPuppy619 July 29, 2011 @ 4:40 p.m.

I do not have a cell phone, so if anyhting outside of my homestead goes down I would not/am not in a position to dial 911.

I too have seen suspected drunk drivers-in fact I saw one this past Sunday afternoon, and I WISH in instances like those I did have a cell phone.

My biggest regret in life was driving under the influence on as a teenager and young adult. I look back on it and am ashamed of how stupid and dumb I was. But I have always been able to learn from my stupid mistakes.

historymatters July 31, 2011 @ 1:31 a.m.

Yes and no exageration, I waited on hold for 20 minutes to speak to someone. My friend was in a horrible bike accident and was bleeding everywhere. he had scalped himself and the sweatshirt I was using to stop the bleeding was completely soaked and insufficient to stop the bleeding. I could not believe I called and got a message to wait for an operator....20 minutes later someone answered. its hard to hold a turnakit on someones head while you hold your cell phone in the other waiting for the operator.

realnews July 31, 2011 @ 11:04 a.m.

The first call I made after buying a cell phone was to 9-1-1, to report a huge chunk of debris in the middle lane on the freeway.

The line was busy.

However, when the issue is a response to family crimes, it's not a busy signal that's the problem, but the police signaling another problem, as testimony before the city council last year, revealed.

The issue is the police, the city council, the DA, and the state, not giving two licks about the safety of women and children.

See the District Attorney section of www.familylawcourts.com.>

Notice the federal prosecutors also keep trafficked children at continued risk.

In fairness, San Diego has been unsafe for women and children for a long, Long time.

Partly because of a continued refusal by media to report the situation....although media's refusal to do so contributes in part to the solution never getting to the public. Which makes media partly responsible for San Diego's continued killings. A disinterested media is of course both real, and creepy beyond belief.

But hey, that's pretty much San Diego.