Little Rascals mascot? Think again

I have a dog in this fight. Or, rather, I had a cat.

Mr. Whiskers was my buddy for 12 years. He sat by my computer while I worked, came with me on walks under the stars after work was done, and often lay out in the grass by the sidewalk, welcoming passersby like a greeter at Walmart. He was big-pawed, big-tummied, big-hearted.

Then one day he went up to greet a neighbor’s dog, a pit bull. Fatal mistake. With one gulp, that pit had Mr. Whiskers’s head in his mouth. Mr. Whiskers’s claws were still outside, and I’m proud to say he shredded the hell out of the pit’s chest and face as he flailed and probably screamed, trying to get loose.

Another brave neighbor saw what was going on and tried to separate Mr. Whiskers from the dog’s jaws, but as they say, you don’t unlock a pit. That’s bred into them, to take bulls down by the nose. When the dog finally did drop Mr. Whiskers, the cat was dead.

That’s when I started paying attention to pits. Reading the stats. Because, it turns out they seriously kill people, too. According to Dogsbite.org, a victims’ website, pit bulls mauled to death 176 Americans between 2005 and 2013.

In 2013, pit bulls killed 25 of the 32 Americans mauled to death by dogs, or 78 percent. Yet, pit bulls make up only about 6 percent of the total U.S. dog population. San Diego makes no effort to regulate these animals. The only exception: La Mesa.

Rina Kelley and her dog Sparky were attacked by an unleashed pit bull on the sand at Imperial Beach.

Dangerous breeds

Rina Kelley had a pit bull encounter of the really scary kind in late 2013 (as reported by Bruce Kauffman in these pages). I’ve come down to Imperial Beach to hear firsthand what being attacked by a pit is like.

Kelley’s a cultured, forthright woman, a classical pianist of passionate Hungarian and Italian extraction. In 2013 she suffered multiple bites from a pit bull while she and her daughter were walking their dogs.

So, she and I are hiking the beach to the exact spot where the attack happened. We’re just south of the “Elephant Cage,” the Navy’s 50-year-old circular radio antenna.

“We were throwing kelp balls all along here,” Kelley says. “And my daughter’s four dogs were chasing them. Then, the balls landed by a woman who was walking her pit bull.

“I thought to myself, Uh-oh. That’s the end of Ricky. That’s the end of the chihuahua. The pit bull attacked, all right, but he went after another of our dogs, Sparky. He grabbed him by the throat. Jamie, my daughter, and I ran up immediately and grabbed them.

“The pit bull wouldn’t let go. Jamie got on top of him. I was trying to pull Sparky from his jaws.

“Jamie said, ‘Stop pulling, Mom. You’re going to hurt him more.’

“She was right. If you pulled [Sparky] a little away, it would grip again. So, I was tearing Sparky. Jamie said, ‘Ma! Get his ears!’ Except the pit bull had no ears. I couldn’t grab them. What you needed was a sharp object to stick in his eye or his ear, to stop him.

“Then Jamie had this idea. We dragged the pit and Sparky into the water. Held the pit’s head under the waves. He was drowning. Only then did he let go. Sparky ran away, and I thought it was over.

“But when Jamie got off the pit, it got up and ran after Sparky. And he attacked again. As I was picking Sparky up, the pit bit me. Bit my hands, grabbed Sparky again.

“And so I dragged the pit into the water again and kneeled on his head, until he released Sparky again. This time there’s blood all over. My hands are all bloody.

“Jamie yelled at me ‘Pick him up, Ma! Pick him up! Go! Go!’ Sparky was heavy with water. My legs cramped up. I dropped him. All this time Jamie was sitting on top of the pit bull. ‘I’m not leaving this dog until you get his leash, his muzzle, his collar and you come and sit on him,’ she yelled at the owner. The dog was biting every which way. He was dangerous.”

They finally escaped and sought out an emergency vet.

“We did not know if our dog was going to live or die. He was so badly chewed up and bleeding. We thought it was all over for him. The pit bull was fine. But my hands were a mess. Puncture wounds. Blood. Pain. He also bit the owner.

Video:

Rina Kelly recounts the pit bull attack

Rina Kelly talks about the pit bull attack on Sparky and her family while walking on the beach.

“The doctor at the emergency clinic wanted $2500 for surgery, suturing, all kinds of stuff. We asked the doctor, ‘What’s his prognosis for survival? Can he eat?’

She said, ‘Well, the bad thing is that he’s going to lose his glove of flesh around the lower jaw, his tongue will probably be hanging out,’ — which, miraculously, it doesn’t — ‘he has no teeth on his lower jaw, and he’ll probably lose the ability to salivate. He’s young. He can probably make it. But he’s in a lot of pain. Healing will be a painful process.”

And the other dog’s owner? “She says her dog didn’t bite. She denied everything, to save the dog. So, it’s lawyers now between us. If the water hadn’t been there and my brilliant daughter thought of dragging the pit under, it would have been far worse. Now I feel like bringing a gun to the beach, just in case it happens again. Because the city does nothing to protect us.”

So, Kelley started a petition to persuade the City of Imperial Beach to control its citizens’ more aggressive dogs.

“We ask that these Principal Reforms take effect immediately and be made public by the city:

“1. Dog owners provide proof of insurance to be deposited with the City at time of licensing their dog and carry such proof of insurance on their person if visiting the City. The only exception would be for dogs twenty pounds or under and not one of the Dangerous Breeds.

“4. Raise the License Fee to $200 for any non-sterilized dog with a view toward encouraging sterilization.…”

Comments

JaneP April 22, 2015 @ 10:57 a.m.

I am so grateful to be reading this. Pits and other fighting breeds are infecting our neighborhoods at an alarming rate. Not only are they skilled escape artists that find their way into other people's homes to maim and kill, people are unable to work in their front yards, walk on the street, go into restaurants, shop in hardware stores, or go to the beach without these owners shoving them in our face. We all see the consequences of the status quo.

They were NEVER nanny dogs!

BSL now; it works!!

monaghan April 22, 2015 @ 4:18 p.m.

What a scary story. Vicious dogs in the hands of idiot-owners is a deadly mix. Ms. O'Brien is insanely brave to continue working with these animals. Mr. Macias is an astute sociologist, linking pit bull ownership with alienation and loneliness.

mb2121 April 23, 2015 @ 1:12 p.m.

I used to believe what a lot of you are stating, that it was how they are raised. Blame the owner not the breed. But I lived with a pitbull from a puppy to a full grown 65 lb sweetheart. The dog was a total sweetheart with kids and small dogs. She lived with a 5 lb chihuahua with no issues. The owner was very responsible and had professional training and help with her. But anytime she saw a full-sized dog she would just go crazy. She attacked an old man and his dog and caused thousands of dollars in medical bills. She would walk up to a little kid and lick their face but then go crazy at the chocolate lab that walked by 5 minutes later with no explanation. I want to agree that it is all how they are raised but I believe that there are just some dogs that have that switch in them and unless the owner is responsible and paying full attention to the fact that their dog can attack at any moment there will be a problem.

Yes, I've read the stats that chihuahuas bite more people every year than pitbulls. But a chihuahua bite will not hurt you much and a full grown pitbull can cause much damage. That is the bottom line. I believe that there are all breeds of dogs that will attack and bite but not with the power and tenacity of a pitbull. It is sad because I know way more gentle, loving pitbulls than aggressive ones. But as we all know all it takes is a few bad apples.

mcavins April 24, 2015 @ 1:03 p.m.

I agree with you that the "it's all in how they are raised" is a very inaccurate and unfortunate expression. The reality is that it's all a complex combination of genetics, adequate socialization, training, and management among other factors. There definitely needs to be more support for the idea that some dogs (of many different breeds) are too dangerous to others to be managed safely in a 'normal' environment. It sounds like your friend owned one. The fact that the dog was involved in an attack on another dog AFTER your friend knew that that behavior was possible means that she didn't do what she needed to do to protect the community from her dog. Possibly she needed to find a different trainer. Possibly her dog should have been muzzle trained and worn a comfortable (and well-loved muzzle) whenever outdoors. Possibly her dog was too dangerous to others for her to keep. There definitely needs to be more support from pit bull lovers for the idea that protecting the community must come first. It's definitely not OK to risk injury (and trauma) to someone else's dog, or to a human, in order to keep a dog that can't be safely managed.

NarrReaderSD May 1, 2015 @ 12:36 a.m.

Excellent and intelligent discussion from both of you. Thank you.

ilovemypitbullmorethanyou April 23, 2015 @ 3:45 p.m.

I LOVE my pitbull and thank the Lord for her and her loving breed everyday!

espinoch02 April 23, 2015 @ 4:17 p.m.

I have only read half of this obsurd article only to come to the conclusion the auther Bill has NOT educated himself on the canine species. FIRST of all Pits DONT lock their jaws. You probably want to maybe google it to dumb it down for you. That is a myth. SECOND statistics PROVE one is more likely to get bit by a small dog like the said Chuchuhuahua. Also there are laws while walking dogs. Maybe the said individual should be following the law and have that shit kicker on a leash and this situation would of never happened. I own two Pits myself and I would choose another Pit over any other dog. Educate yourself on Pittbulls instead of posting your discriminatory disgusting article about the breed (Pits) that are the most loyal, obedient, loving and protecting above any other canine breed.

Setai_Delenn April 23, 2015 @ 8:25 p.m.

I have a question of the author. On the first page you write: "In 2012, four people died by dog in California. The scariest thing: three of those four were killed here in San Diego County."

Three of the four who died were in San Diego. Okay. I don't quite understand why that's "scary." It seems more likely to be a statistical anomaly. Data covering many years would need to be analyzed to determine if there is a reason to be scared about living in San Diego.

More important, you never indicate the breed or type of dogs responsible for those deaths. Given the tenor of your article, had those deaths been due to Pit Bull type dogs, one can be fairly certain you would have made that point loud and clear. That you didn't while including that statistic is disingenuous at best, dishonest at worst. For the casual reader who hasn't taken a side in this debate, the inclusion of that information in such an article gives the impression that Pit Bull type dogs /were/ involved.

Based on this hyperbolic and misleading sentence alone, I predicted that your article would rely on anecdotal evidence rather than scientifically gathered and analyzed statistics. And sure enough, that's what the majority of your article is - people on both sides telling their stories. You were honest enough to include people who own Pit Bull and Pit Bull type dogs. Of course, people who've been traumatized have much more dramatic and memorable stories to tell than those who haven't had any issues with their dogs.

But you miss an important understanding of human nature: Trauma teaches us caution, but also causes over-generalizations. A woman who is raped by a man within her own ethnic group tends to become fearful of being alone. A woman who is raped by a man outside of her own ethnic group tends to become fearful of all men in that group. The reason is that the first woman will have many, many positive associations with men in her own group: fathers, brothers, uncles, etc. The second woman will usually have far fewer positive associations and so over generalizes. Analogously, the same happens to assault victims, dog-bite victims, etc.

I don't deny the trauma these people experienced. I don't deny that dogs bite. But even a little research would have shown that the idea that a Pit Bull's jaw locks on is a myth. You were writing from within the trauma of having watched your beloved cat killed by a dog who wasn't properly controlled by his owner. So you want to ban all large dogs. That's overreach and an imposition of your fear on law-abiding fellow citizens.

monaghan April 24, 2015 @ 12:56 p.m.

No, we love large dogs. I think the feeling is that banning pit bulls would be a public service.

mcavins April 24, 2015 @ 1:33 p.m.

Who is "we"? Hundreds of San Diego Reader's readers have expressed here that they would be entirely against banning pit bulls or any other breed or breeds. BSL does not protect a community from irresponsible owners keeping dangerous dogs.

Setai_Delenn April 24, 2015 @ 6:32 p.m.

If you re-read the first page of this article, you will see the petition started by Kelly. The relevant passages are: “2. Immediately Ban all Pits, Rots, Dobermans and Shepherds from City Beaches because their only purpose for coming is to let them run at large on the beach and if they are leashed they still pose a severe threat to persons, their children, and their pets attempting to enjoy the Beach.

“3. Adopt immediately Ordinance Number 921 from Riverside County requiring mandatory sterilization of all Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Shepherds and other Dangerous Breeds listed in the Top Ten Dangerous Dog Breeds by the CDC [Centers for Disease Control]."

I read that to mean different varieties of large dogs, not just Pits. She even wants them banned from beaches if they're leashed.

Granted, the author of the article has an issue with pits, but the research to support such a ban isn't presented here. Some information is provided from a site that is specifically supportive of dog-bite victims - no bias there. What about government statistics? The petition mentions the CDC list, but no statistics from the CDC were provided. Anecdotes are not evidence.

Setai_Delenn April 24, 2015 @ 6:36 p.m.

klurejr April 27, 2015 @ 10:38 a.m.

Banning any Breed of Dog is a terrible idea, it is akin to Genocide.

KagomeMystiereKitsune April 23, 2015 @ 10:21 p.m.

bit-bulls are no different than the beloved golden retriever all dogs want to please its owner and will do what that owner trains them to do and if you wish you could train any dog to attack babies and children on command, these dogs are far better than any dog for a family as they are very loving and easy to train and if handled correctly and socialized right they will love any living and moving thing you put in front of them and show there love to it. by saying the bit bull is a killer or anything like that then you are calling every single breed that too.

monaghan April 24, 2015 @ 1:07 p.m.

Golden retrievers as a breed do not savage other people or animals. Their intrinsic sweet nature does not depend on how their human owner has raised them. Pit bulls are always unreliable, too often dangerous and sometimes deadly.

cfit April 24, 2015 @ 6:25 p.m.

Unreliable is right! I tell mine that she has to take out the trash, and she says "sure, sure, I'll get right to it." But she never does. Now the labs we had when I was growing up, you told them to mow the lawn on Fridays, and they'd do it just like clockwork.

It must save time knowing that every dog of this breed that you ever see is a killer. I think that cops in Ferguson understand that kind of thinking.

monaghan April 27, 2015 @ 12:38 p.m.

Pit bull owners in these remarks seem to be hyper-defensive zealots, cfit, of an unusually vicious (or "protective") breed of dog. Yet here you seem to be equating pit bulls with unarmed black residents of Ferguson, Mo. I don't get it.

ehsutherland April 24, 2015 @ 12:51 p.m.

I was actually excited to read this article, thinking there might be something worthwhile in it. Shame on you San Diego Reader for publishing (as it's cover story, might I add) such a poorly written, biased piece. Who edited this?! There are many things I would like to pick apart, but don't have hours to devote to writing a simple comment.

A couple things: Sorry your cat died, Bill. You know what? Many dogs don't like cats; many dogs do. Cat and dog aggression does not make an animal inherently dangerous to humans, and making a ludicrous link like that is dangerous for impressionable readers. You fail to mention that the majority of dog attacks that end in mauling or death DO NOT occur with the "family dog." Most of these are with dogs who are not socialized, not well kept, or abused because of their "owners," people who take advantage of the loyalty and strength of their animals by turning them into dangerous dogs. As mentioned in many previous comments, most "pitbulls" as you refer to them are mixes. They are mutts. To write an article about how these dogs are "bred to do X, Y, and Z" is absolutely ludicrous. My dog has some pit in him. He also has some American Bulldog, Boxer, and Lab. But that doesn't matter, right? He's just a pitbull to everyone who judges him right off the bat. As a somewhat related side note, I encourage anyone who has a dog and a baby or child to check out this website from fellow San Diegan, Madeline Gabriel: http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/ Educating yourself about the dynamics between families and their dogs can only make for happy children, happy dogs, and happy families.

SD Reader, as a publication that's readily available to one of the nation's biggest cities, I wish you would only publish pieces that offer at least more than one grossly biased opinion. In putting this drivel out there, you do less for the conversation about rescue animals, Breed Specific Legislation, dogs and their owners, community policies and what it means to judge a majority with salacious minority "stats, and simply muddle what could be an opportunity for a great conversation.

lgroff79 April 24, 2015 @ 7:16 p.m.

The fact that the source is dogbite.com proves the person that wrote this is a moron. Nothing on that site is true. I'm a PROUD Pitbull owner & I will always fight for the breed. My guy is the sweetest most loving dog. He lives with a cat, WHO, on numerous occasions has attacked him & my pit has done NOTHING! My pit goes to the dog park & lays down so the small breed dogs can play with him! Not ALL PITBULLS are dangerous, they're dogs, plain & simple. They are NOT monsters! They are NOT evil! They are a product of their environment just like anyone else! Stop attacking an entire breed! Every dog is different! Not all golden retrievers are friendly, not all labs are friendly. Start placing the blame where it belongs- with owners! And get some legit facts before you decide to spread hate!

Visduh April 27, 2015 @ 8:20 a.m.

We can only assume that the publisher of The Reader knew the reaction such a cover story would bring. Never accuse the publication of being bland or boring. This isn't the first time that some publication has run a piece on pit bulls, and every time one ran, the reactions were over-the-top, and numerous. All those Facebook postings are most unusual for the Reader.

It's hard for me to understand why so many folks are so supportive of that breed (or breeds, if you insist) of dog. The negatives are many, despite their denials. So, while I claim no expertise in dog breeds and dog attacks, I can be very sure of one thing. That is when/if there is legislation to outlaw pit bulls (and Dobermans and Rottweilers and . . .) it will be ineffectual. All it will do is drive them underground and result in massive disobedience, and will likely be counterproductive to ideas of public safety.

SANDRAE April 27, 2015 @ 8:48 a.m.

This article is the most stupidest thing I have read thus far! I am a animal lover all around raised with pits, poodles, cats, birds, turtles, and an iguana. The only thing I was ever attacked by was a cat and a poodle. So should we ban all cats and all poodles as well.

klurejr April 27, 2015 @ 10:06 a.m.

A lot of mis-information in here.

1> Banning a Breed is a terrible ideal and should never be practiced. That is the same kind of reasoning people use for Genocide and it is despicable. Many cannot really even identify an American Pit Bull Terrier, can you? http://www.pickthepit.com/

2> An American Pit Bull Terrier does not have "locking" jaws. Using the word "locking" indicates they have some physical trait the locks like a door locks. That is just not true and when people use the term they sound very ignorant. They have very very strong muscles and very strong jaw muscles, that does not mean every single one will be trained by a dog fighter to latch onto something and not let go.

3> Not every dog referred to as a Pit Bull is an American Pit Bull Terrier, nor is it a Staffordshire Terrier, nor Bull Terrier not Bull Dog, nor American Bull Dog, etc, etc. There are many dogs in the "bully" family. In fact many news "reports" the cite a "pit bull" attack are not dogs that are actually American Pit Bull Terriers, many are mixes in which it is hard to know exactly what the bloodlines are.

4> In the US, Golden Retrievers are responsible for more Dog Bites than any other breed, probably due to the fact that they are one of the most popular breeds in the Nation. (that stat is from a few years ago and may not be current)

5> John Stewart of the Daily Show owns and advocates for APBT's, and was on the Television show, PitBulls and Paroles (which if you do not watch I encourage you to watch at least one episode to see just how well these dogs can react to terrible situations.)

6> Why was your cat off leash? I feel bad for you, but keep your pets on leash when outside of your home and you wont have problems. You are doing your animal a major disservice to let it go anywhere outside off leash.

No matter what side of the issue you find yourself on, make sure you educate yourself before just making assumptions. Beyond the Myth is a very good Documentary about the breed. Here is a preview for it:

Until I watched that Video I did not realize how biased the media has become, but since then I have taken notice of my local media when reporting dog attacks/bites etc, and it is sad to see that when it is a non-bully breed the news just says dog attack, and when it is a bully breed they state pit bull. Why would they do that? Terrible.

I have personally witnessed two dog bits in my life. Once I myself was bit by our pet cocker spaniel.

The second time my cousin was bit by out pet Labrador.

In the end this is my opinion:

"all dogs are dogs, breed aside, dogs treated well and trained well will behave well, dogs treated badly or trained badly will be unpredictable."

And finally here are my "pit bulls".

None

None

None

amandaplease123 April 27, 2015 @ 10:23 a.m.

This is the most ignorant article I have ever read. Many dogs attack when they feel threatened, dogs of all breeds . Look I'm sure that you thought you could just let your cat wander around because you thought it was well behaved. That's all fine and dandy and I'm sorry for your loss but that's why LEASHES exist. Your animal may be well behaved but that doesn't mean other animals won't feel threatened by it. Did it ever occur to you that the dog had probably never been around a cat and then your cat that you let wander the neighborhood got in this dogs space provoking an attack. You can't just let your animals wander around like special snowflakes.

klurejr April 27, 2015 @ 10:26 a.m.

Dogs off-leash is one of the biggest problems I have ever personally encountered. My wife was attacked by a NON-Pit Bull that was off-leash. My dogs, both pits and both on leash did what they could to protect her. The owner of the Off-Leash dog tried to put all the blame on our "misbehaved" dogs..... Not all humans are qualified to own dogs.

monaghan April 27, 2015 @ 12:57 p.m.

What politician will pick up on this pit bull-defender demographic? Is there cross-over with NRA membership? Associated Drug Dealers of America? Cliven Bundy followers? California secessionists? An amazing out-of-the-woodwork response. May the Reader continue to mine this rich vein of inquiry, as we all like to know who our neighbors are here in America's Finest City.

Visduh April 27, 2015 @ 3:41 p.m.

"An amazing out-of-the-woodwork response" is a good way to describe the result of the story. That's what I alluded to above. A few times previously I've seen similar response to articles or stories about the pitties. And it makes me wonder just who they are.

Pit_Bull_Friendly_Landlord May 6, 2015 @ 10:27 p.m.

While I can appreciate the fear that Bill has from this ONE, highly personal, incident, any writer using Dogbite.com as a source clearly hasn't done their homework. Rather, Bill should read the CDC's research which clearly states breed is not a reliable factor in determining risk, so much so that they do not recommend Breed Specific Legislation (BSL).

Here's a good summary from the ASPCA's site:

"The CDC strongly recommends against breed-specific laws in its oft-cited study of fatal dog attacks, noting that data collection related to bites by breed is fraught with potential sources of error (Sacks et al.,2000). Specifically, the authors of this and other studies cite the inherent difficulties in breed identification (especially among mixed-breed dogs) and in calculating a breed’s bite rate given the lack of consistent data on breed population and the actual number of bites occurring in a community, especially when the injury is not deemed serious enough to require treatment in an emergency room (Sacks et al., 2000; AVMA, 2001; Collier, 2006). Supporting the concern regarding identification, a recent study noted a significant discrepancy between visual determination of breed and DNA determination of breed (Voith et al., 2009). A variety of factors may affect a dog’s tendency toward aggression; these include heredity, early experience, socialization and training, sex and reproductive status (Lockwood, 1999). For example, intact males constitute 80 percent of all dogs presented to veterinary behaviorists for what formerly has been described as dominance aggression, are involved in 70 to 76 percent of reported dog bite incidents, and are 2.6 times more likely to bite than neutered dogs, while unspayed females “attract free-roaming males, which increases bite risk to people through increased exposure to unfamiliar dogs,” and “contribute to the population of unwanted” and potentially aggressive dogs (Gershman et al., 1993; Sacks et al., 2000; AVMA, 2001). Chaining and tethering also appear to be risk factors for biting (Gershman et al., 1993), and programs that target tethering have proven effective in reducing bite rates (Sacks et al., 2000; AVMA, 2001). Other factors implicated in dog aggression are selective breeding and raising of dogs for elevated aggression, whether for protection, use in dog fighting competitions, social status or financial gain (Bradley, 2006); abuse and neglect (Delise, 2007); and inadequate obedience training and supervision (Shuler et al., 2008)."

Pit_Bull_Friendly_Landlord May 6, 2015 @ 10:27 p.m.

And, while anecdotal stories are not evidence, it has been my experience as a non-discriminating landlord, small dog owners have the most trouble managing their dogs. (Their dogs may start a fight, and a bigger dog will finish it.) These small dogs are less socialized, more aggressive, and, in general, more trouble than the Pit Bulls, Rotties, and Mastiffs. In addition, these small dog owners seem to be less educated regarding dog behavior and safe interactions, including why it is important to spay/neuter, to leash your dog, and to spend the time to train and exercise it.

I have found those tenant owners of breeds traditionally discriminated against are the BEST tenants. Like many populations who face discrimination, they only have one shot to make a good impression... not only of themselves, but for all those who might follow in their footsteps.

And, because I know you'll ask. Nope, never had ONE incident in 20 years of land lording +10 units. And, nope... I don't have any vacancies.

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!