San Diego’s City Council approved a blockade of 2.5 miles of Garnet Avenue and two miles of Cass Street to take place next Sunday (March 30).

A group which calls themselves CicloSDias was granted permission for this action. CicloSDias states their goal is to get people out of their vehicles more, and for people to be more active. Their followers are primarily cyclists.

The first CicloSDias proceeding was held in North Park last year at a cost of $75,000. Unlike Seattle’s ‘Open Streets’ event, which is funded by the city’s park and recreation department, the San Diego event used approximately $30,000 of state tax money, doled out through grants from San Diego State and UCSD.

P.B. locals reported mixed feelings.

“So, instead of riding on their own neighborhood bike paths they will be driving in a vehicle to ride in circles in another neighborhood?” asked Emma Stone, the owner of a boutique on Garnet Avenue. “Yet the purpose is to drive less.”

“Something new usually is exciting.” offered P.B. resident Ken Worthington, “however, I question the location. There are 45,000 residents packed into P.B. and few will be at work or school. It reeks of a logistical nightmare as the residents will be blocked in all four directions and unable to run their errands or enjoy their day off. This event might be well-suited in the suburbs.”

Comments

Pacito March 25, 2014 @ 4:05 p.m.

yea, I saw the stats from that link - co-sponsor UCSD published a CicloSDias report - My boss complains because they turned a 4 lane street to a 2 lane to get the $ from the gov. He says this major thoroughfare is now gridlock, but he could tolerate it better if he ever saw a bike. I hope there are no BUI citations I guess the bay bike paths & boardwalks will have less bikes sunday

Pacito March 25, 2014 @ 4:16 p.m.

Garnet Avenue has become a victim of bicycle over-regulation. By regulation, your toddlers are required to ride in the busy street rather than the sidewalk. Another hair-trigger ordinance just out forbids vehicles from passing within 3 feet of a bike-rider's elbows or handlebars - which then makes it illegal to pass any bike on narrow Garnet - vehicles will slow to the speed of a beach cruiser, especially with San Diego's Finest Bullies issuing vehicle citations like crazy. Gridlock ... I own a bike business and rarely drive ... but a lot of tourists have told me they will never return ... everyone seems to have forgotton that tourism used to be #1 income of San Diego and provided $ for road repairs

billdsd March 26, 2014 @ 6:13 p.m.

The "ordinance" would be San Diego Municipal Code §84.09 which prohibits riding bicycles on sidewalks in front of businesses.

The three foot passing law will be California state law, CVC 21760, but it does not go into effect until September 16, 2014.

Right now, CVC 21750 requires maintaining safe distance when passing bicyclists but does not define what "safe distance" means. Unfortunately, there are too many sociopaths who seem to think that anything that doesn't involve actual contact qualifies as safe distance.

billdsd March 25, 2014 @ 9:45 p.m.

Even without bicycles, traffic has always been slow on Garnet; at least it has been since 1986 when I moved here from Orange County.

I never cease to be amazed by the drama queens who pretend that they are so terribly victimized by having to share the road with bicycles. Of all the things that slow me down on the road, bicycles are by far the least of my problems.

Grow up and learn how to share the road. It's not difficult and it's not a great hardship to maintain safe passing distance or slow down and wait until you can. You would do it for a bus. You would do it for a garbage truck. You would do it for a cement truck. You can do it for a bicyclist.

jnojr March 26, 2014 @ 6:47 a.m.

It would be one thing if cyclists actually wanted to SHARE the road. Events like this prove otherwise. And it's kind of tough to "share" when you're travelling 5 or 10 MPH, impeding dozens of other people who are capable of moving much faster but can't because you're too slow and can't be bothered to follow the rules of the road. Let me know when bikes are there to SHARE and not to hog, and then I'm with you.

billdsd March 26, 2014 @ 10:37 a.m.

It's funny how some people seem to think that "share the road" means that bicyclists have to stay out of their way. In other words, in their view, bicyclists are only allowed to use the road if they can keep up with traffic. Otherwise, they don't get to use the road.

That's no sharing under any definition that I am aware of.

The vast overwhelming majority of the time, the only thing that you have to do is move over to pass. If you think that you are being impeded when you can move over to pass, then again, you need to consult your favorite dictionary and learn what the word "impede" means.

BTW, the courts have repeatedly found that faster traffic is not being impeded when it can move over to pass slower traffic. I know that changing lanes is challenging for some people, but those people shouldn't be driving. Changing lanes is a basic driving skill that's required for all drivers.

When I'm driving, I rarely have to slow down for bicyclists. Usually the most I have to deal with is just moving over to pass. On the rare occasions that I have to slow down, it's usually just for a few seconds. I've never been slowed down for more than about a minute by bicyclists. Motorists, on the other hand, slow me down every single time that I drive. They even slow me down when I'm riding my bike.

I do follow the rules of the road. Unlike most motorists, I even signal turns and lane changes consistently. Unlike the majority of motorists, I obey the speed limit. Unlike most motorists I yield to pedestrians at all marked and unmarked crosswalks even if there isn't a stop sign or red light to go with that crosswalk.

You need to get over the childish delusions that the roads are your exclusive territory and that bicyclists have to stay out of your way. You move over to pass absolutely all other slow traffic on the road that isn't bicycles. Why do you think it's different when it's a bicycle?

ReaganSD March 28, 2014 @ 1:05 p.m.

My gas taxes pay for the roads. Bikes don't buy gas, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to have the same rights as automobiles. Biking is a hobby like golf...

billdsd March 29, 2014 @ 2:37 a.m.

@ReaganSD: Your gas taxes go mostly to state and federal highways. Little if any fuel taxes pay for Garnet or Cass. Most of the money for local roads like Garnet and Cass comes from sales and property taxes.

Maybe you should try doing your research before making unsubstantiated claims about your presumed ownership of the road. You don't own the road and you don't pay significantly more for it than bicyclists.

Many people use bicycles as a primary form of transportation. You're just making childish excuses to rationalize your childish delusion that you own the road. You don't own the road. Grow up.

jnojr March 26, 2014 @ 6:45 a.m.

Events like this and the Crock and Blow Marathon are always cheered by people who don't have THEIR neighborhoods closed down. Sure, they love going somewhere else and having other people inconvenienced for their benefit, but turn the tables?

Sorry, streets are for cars. Cars are how people get around. We have lives, families, jobs, and more important things to do than be held hostage to someone's axe-grinding. I am not going to ride a bike to work. I have a 30 mile commute.

billdsd March 26, 2014 @ 6:07 p.m.

You are not being held hostage. You can still get where you are going. Is there some reason you can't use Grand instead? I generally prefer Grand to Garnet even during off peak periods but definitely during peak periods.

Nobody asked you to ride a bike 30 miles to work. That's well into the realm of hard core and very few are willing to put in the time and effort to bike commute that far on a regular basis. Why do you think that anyone is asking you to bike commute 30 miles?

The streets are also for bicycles and they have been for 150 years. That's longer than cars have existed.

Why do you feel so threatened by bicycles?

miajocomm March 26, 2014 @ 11:36 a.m.

Hi Paul,

Perhaps you should check out one of the CicloSDias events in person so you understand how these kind of events unite communities instead of just inconveniencing people. The Executive Director of the Bike Coalition is more than happy to meet you at CicloSDias this Sunday and ride with you to give you a more thorough understanding and insight into what you're writing about for our Neighborhood News. As a journalist, I don't think this is an opportunity you should pass up.

Email me (mia@jocommunictions.com) to arrange a time for you two to cruise CicloSDias together on Sunday.

Thanks, looking forward to it. Mia

Gabriella March 27, 2014 @ 4:22 p.m.

WOW ! as usual, extreme opinions from opposite directions , ha . I was rushing my toddler daughter to the emergency room with a critical high fever. After the light turned green a few times, a 'Critical Mass' function of hundreds & hundreds of bike riders held up traffic. Then some of them flipped off the gridlocked cars ( gridlocked for a dozen blocks every direction ) and shouted obscenities at them. I observed that the 'poor little bicyclist' is not always the victim, either. It so resembles; as if U.S. road bike riders have the "Short Guy" complex. I wish the US was less giant car crazy, but the hatred from cyclists is so evident in these comments! Cell phones don't appear to work unless the vehicle is started and they sit parked pouring gas down the drain. Sad

billdsd March 30, 2014 @ 2:16 a.m.

While I am not a fan of Critical Mass, it happens on one Friday evening a month. It's hardly representative of road conditions in general.

Today I was harassed by no less than 3 different motorists who were angry that I was using the full lane on roads that had multiple lanes. Apparently these ignorant childish self entitled idiots think that the left lane has cooties. What exactly is so horrible about using the left lane to pass a bicyclist safely? In each case, there were conditions which satisfied the exceptions to the keep right rule as specified in CVC 21202(a)(3) or (a)(4) or 21208(a)(3) or (a)(4) or some combination of more than one of those.

Bicyclists actually do have a right to travel on the public roads. I know that's difficult to understand for people who are too lazy to read the law or too illiterate to understand it but it is a fact, nevertheless.