Meg Whitman, Michael Peevey, Jerry Brown
  • Meg Whitman, Michael Peevey, Jerry Brown

Ninety businesspeople will be traveling with Gov. Jerry Brown to Mexico next week, according to the Sacramento Bee. Many represent companies that are giving to Brown's 2014 reelection campaign, even though they gave more heavily to his opponent, Meg Whitman, in 2010, according to the Los Angeles Times.

One such company is San Diego-based Sempra Energy. In 2010, it gave $51,800 to Whitman and $32,400 to Brown, but this year has given a total of $26,000 to Brown.

Of course, Sempra, parent of San Diego Gas & Electric, has a motive to give to Brown. The governor has kept Michael Peevey on board as head of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Peevey, a former president of Southern California Edison, consistently makes decisions that benefit utilities and punish consumers.

Comments

Anon92107 July 25, 2014 @ 3:03 a.m.

Don, Question:
If we recall Brown for continuously selling out California ratepayers, who do we vote for?

Don Bauder July 25, 2014 @ 6:55 a.m.

Anon92107: Generally, utility regulation is more likely to be fairer to consumers under Democrats than Republicans. But Brown keeps Peevey. So I don't know what to tell you. I have no business telling anybody how to vote anyway. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel July 25, 2014 @ 9:40 a.m.

Well, maybe hope is on the horizon. Peevey's term expires at the end of this year. In the last year or so, he has been quoted more than one saying he's looking forward to spending more time at home after his term is up. Maybe he's done.

Don Bauder July 25, 2014 @ 11:11 a.m.

danfogel: Isn't it interesting how many executives under stress say they want to spend more time at home? When the head of Enron suddenly quit as the company was being exposed as a hoax, he said he wanted to spend more time with his wife and children. I said at the time he should be put under oath and asked to give the first names of each of his children. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh July 25, 2014 @ 2:29 p.m.

Don't they ALWAYS say that they want to spend more time with their families? Whether it is a school superintendent, a corporate exec, head coach, etc., etc. that's the comment du jour in this decade. I can't recall what it was in the previous decade, but in the 90's it was "to pursue other interests." Just another cliche that dies out from gross overuse, to be replaced by another cliche that suffers the same fate. And they're always euphemistic.

Don Bauder July 25, 2014 @ 4:22 p.m.

Visduh: To my knowledge, no company has ever used this one: "He has left our company to pursue opportunities to steal money elsewhere." Best, Don Bauder

danfogel July 27, 2014 @ 9:11 p.m.

When I quit working, 10yrs ago this past winter, I said it was to spend time with my wife and daughter, but that at I would be back working at some point. Ten years later, I guess that "some point" hasn't come around yet. And at almost 58, I'm really not seeing "at some point" materializing. I don't care about pursuing other interests, finding my "true calling" or even stealing other peoples money. However, I can guarantee that if questioned under oath, I can give my daughter's name. No, really. I actually can. I even can give you her birthday; it's on Halloween!! LOL

Don Bauder July 28, 2014 @ 8:42 a.m.

danfogel: I know both my sons', my grandson's, and my wife's birthdays. Now if I could only remember my own.....particularly the year I was born, which I like to forget. Best, Don Bauder

Founder July 25, 2014 @ 1:05 p.m.

Maybe they will call it the GREED HEAD TOUR.

Don Bauder July 25, 2014 @ 4:25 p.m.

Founder: MBAs are taught there is no such thing as greed -- just "opportunities to maximize return on investment." Best, Don Bauder

danfogel July 28, 2014 @ 9:19 a.m.

You REALLY don't like anyone with an MBA, do you. I guess they all must be the spawn of satan or something.

Don Bauder July 28, 2014 @ 3:56 p.m.

danfogel: Actually, I have a BBA, along with an MS, so I am not all that far from an MBA. However, your point is well taken. I mainly blame the universities for teaching the MBAs that greed is good.

In my 50 years of business reporting and columnizing, I have encountered some Harvard MBAs who were crooked as snakes and some who were nutty as fruitcakes. (Please don't lecture me that snakes aren't crooked. I know. I just like the expression.) Best, Don Bauder

danfogel July 28, 2014 @ 4:38 p.m.

good, that means I won't have to stop reading your columns out of general principal. I hate it when people make assumptions just because of 3 letters that I can put behind my name. It IS possible to learn something other than greed is good in business and just because a school doesn't have a name like Harvard or Yale of even Stanford, doesn't mean it doesn't have a good business school. In my years as a reader, I too have encountered many things written by someone whom I thought was as nutty as a fruitcake and some who I believe were as crooked as snakes. And since Websters defines crooked as "not straight : having bends and curves", then I guess snakes fit the bill.

Don Bauder July 29, 2014 @ 9:25 a.m.

danfogel: Snakes are sometimes crooked and sometimes straight. Certain rivers and mountain hiking trails, however, are always crooked. That is more like some of the MBAs I have known, particularly some from Harvard. Best, Don Bauder